The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the odds of MAYBE the PFBC and PGC having a combo license? i hate having two licenses that look alike. ive already taken my hunting license fishing this year. lol not sure if its an option, but personally i like the idea.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Two different agencies, two different license years, wouldn't make any sense at all.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
John S said:
Two different agencies, two different license years, wouldn't make any sense at all.
Would if they combined the two.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That would make no sense either.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
JoeG52 said:
It seems to work pretty well in New York.
The super sportsmens license does work pretty nice.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
if they can give you the same number for two different agencies, they can combine the licenses. its not rocket science. make the new license go effective in june or july.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
All the agencies that are combined are general funded, not so in PA, we have two under funded agencies and combining them would give us one extremely underfunded agency trying to divide funds. I know not just a few, but many people that work for the agencies the unknowing think are doing so well, and every one them wishes they were self funded and seperate, they all say they have so many duties with fish, game and boating that can't do any of they right. We can't even get the legislature to approve a license for eith agency, what do you think would happen if they were combined and general funded and had to recieve all their money from the general assembly? Where do you think they would be on the list of importance when it came to doling out the tax dollars? Who do you think would be the first agency to get their budget cut during hard times? I know the answer, I have been associated with people from other agencies who have it happen all the time. PA hunters and fishermen are like the cattle who try to break done the fence because they think the grass is greener on the other side. I hope we will not have to find out the grass is sparcer on the other side!

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
I am not talking about combining them with DCNR....just the fish commission and game commission.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is what I was talking about, where did you see anything about DCNR in what I wrote. It is a bad idea to combine the agencies and since you mentioned it you can bet if that ever happens it will go to general funding, that way the general assembly can take license money and it will be under the direct control of the governor who will pick some political hack to be the secretary of the agency. Be careful what you wish for, because it will not be better than what we have now.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Yes...I would be nervous of govenors and political hacks...we'll most likely end up with Corbett the Republican.

I dunno...might work...can streamline some position and schedule other positions to fill gaps and avoid dual tasks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It won't stream line a thing, if anything it will increase compliment so the legislators and the governor would have a way to pay back those who support them. It wouldn't only be the secretary who would change with every governor, it would be all the burea heads as well so it could be a different person in those positions every 4 years. At least now there are people who have a grasp on the job and the history. You haven't seen bad yet.

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Well you speak as if it would be a done deal that it would fall under the general fund. What if they combined them and kept them as a single commission?

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
why couldnt the money from a combo license be split occordingly? have it so you still pay for everything you want(archery,trout stamp,etc), but have one license.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It still wouldn't be as effective as two are now, too many tasks to do them right still under funded, only now there would be a mess deciding what activities to fund for fish, game abd boating with the limited funds. Game officers go to school just two weks short of a year, how long do you think it would take to train new officers who had to perform the duties of what was two agencies and it is very expensive to run the school for the period it is run now. You would still need fish biologists and game biologists, land managers, waterways managers for the property owned by both agencies, a boating section. Thinking it would save money or be more efficient is a pipe dream . What we have works, other than the general assembly who is derilect in their duty to give increases to both agencies and that wouldn't change if they were combined. The problems we face is not with the agencies, they do more with less than any other state agency it is with the worthless people Pennsylvanians put into and keep in office on Capitol Hill. Combining the agencies will do nothing to change that mess, only we can do that at the polls and we have already proved for decades that we don't have what it takes to do that and the general assembly knows it. That said, I would bet my ;last cent, which isn't very much, that if the agencies were combined it would be under the general fund and rin by a secretary picked by the governor. Once they get into changing the law for the combination they will go all the way, they have been wanting to raid the game fund and fish fund for a long long time. Our license dollars would be going to Phila and the Burg and the agency would probably get less reveue than they get now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
if they're so broke raise the lic and be done with it. I'm sure there's plenty of fat in both agency also. How come there's so many problems in PA and other states are running well. I've hunted 2/3 of this country and haven't seen the problems like we have here. Maybe we have to many hands putting money in they're own pockets!

1 - 20 of 88 Posts