The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very intresed in getting a hunting/family dog. I really know nothing about the hunting aspects of owning a dog. Is there a breed of dog that will run all small game well? lol I know they arnt supposed to do that but I guess I need an all around dog. Also is it productive to run only one rabbit/bird dog thats all I can afford. I also have a 4yo son so its got to be well tempered family size dog. Thankyou

·
Registered
355 Posts
thier is alot to choose from...but if your looking for a multi purpose dog look into a cur or a gsp both are pretty versatile dogs an both can make good house dogs...i myself would lean towards the cur you can hunt just about anything with them im not sure about birds thow...i know sum cur's will retrieve birds...thier are a few guy on here that have them they can give you more info on what they are all about..but thats what i would get just my 2cent..

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can't get much better than a beagle. Even temperament, not too big-not too small, hunts rabbits like it's possessed, will hunt pheasants, grouse, fox, cats, deer, bear--whatever you want to train it on, it will run. Most are fairly intelligent and also learn what NOT to chase. Will do anything to please you. Only drawbacks, they are a high maintainence dog with boundless energy and, if you let them, will eat everything in the house if you let them. Did I mention they love children and love to hunt more that anything. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A beagle is my first preferance because my grandfather raised them for shows in co, so iv been around a few. Now the only drawback im worried about is the barking... He had a big pack of them and a dog kennel so im sure they were louder than say one. What does high maintance mean? Out side of normal vet care and training are they prone to illness or injury? So I can cross train a dog to flush rabbit, fox, and pheasant? makes me want one even more.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Springers are great too. I have shot squirrels, rabbits, pheasants, grouse, woodcock, ducks and geese over my springers. They have retrieved everything as well. They are great around kids and just love to hunt.
Beagles are good as well, Do you hunt more fur or birds? Do you care about retrieving? Whatever breed you decide on should fit your needs/ wants.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
It's a tough call since there is no perfect dog for every situation.

I like my beagles.(when they don't poop on the floor.lol.)

Watch the guys on this forum, they are a bad influence. I started with a pup at Christmas and 10 days later I bought her sister.

Good luck with your choice. It's neat to train a dog. It's really neat to teach your kids how to train them.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
A good field bred springer is hard to beat.... It can run rabbits, pheasants, grouse and also is at home in the duck blind. Medium sized for inside the house also.I do like labs also but they are larger and have a oily coat that can put out that dog smell in the house. Good luck and buy from a good bloodline and the training will be minimal on your part.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There are plenty of versatile dog breeds to choose from. I own a deutsch drahthaar. She points upland, runs rabbits, retrieves anything and can blood track. Other versatile breeds running and testing in the jghv system will do the same such as deutsch kurzhaar(German shorthair), wirehaired pointing griffon, puddle pointers, deutsch langhaar, and you munsterlanders.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
There's a reason Labs. Have been the number one dog for so many years in a row. Super family dog along with an excellent breed to hunt just about everything with.

·
Registered
19,941 Posts
While I don't let my brit chase them, he will point rabbits, both cotton tail and snow shoe. I do let him chase the squirrels in the yard. As far as a family pet, a Brit is hard to beat. He's been my son's best buddy for four years now.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
swpa87,
I suggest you look at one of the versatile gun dog breeds, GSP, Small Munsterlander, Weimeraner, Wire Haired Pointer, ect if you want a dog who hunts just about every kind of bird and game. Do your home work on each breed, if you need help finding a breeder or a breed recommendation drop me a private message or e-mail.
Pine Creek/Dave

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Look at what hunting most in your area and key in on a dog for that and you will best off. Some guys I see with GSP's do well with rabbits and the beagle guys at times do better than me on pheasants.(I have a GSP) A lot of good information being posted.

Buckethead-Pictures of your boy and his buddy alway crack me up. Looks like they are inseperable.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In the last 25 years I have owned a beagle, labs and a vizsla.

All three served different purposes for me in the field.

The beagle was a great dog for me and me only. He was horrible around other dogs and it made for a problem when hunting with other dogs.

My last lab was an amazing duck dog and an OK flusher for pheasants.

The vizsla is the best upland/small game dog I have owned. I have not hunted ducks with her yet but that's because I am working on getting her ready for her JH this spring. After that we will move to the NAVHDA tests and in two seasons I will use her on ducks.

She is a sweet dog with the kids(I have 3 age 10, 8 and 4).

I would recommend Vizslas but that's because she fits my hunting needs and family lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
How much hunting of a certain game are you gonna be doing?

If it's mostly rabbits, look into a beagle. If it's mostly pheasants, look into a springer. Mostly waterfowl, look at labs, etc.

Buy the breed for the majority of hunting you want to do. Most versatile breeds will be ok with the rest, but excel at what you mostly do.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replys, I like the springers and brittanys too, im going to look into all of these breeds. I wish I could say I was targeting one sort of small game, but I take whatever I get lol. So I remember going with my uncle to a kennel type place to train a dog, is this how most of you guys do it? I know exspirience in the feild is the most important, but initally do they just go after them on there own? sure that sounds amature but I dont know too much about training a dog to hunt. my wife was going to get us a brittany pup from somone but it fell through... that was 2mo ago and its probly for tye best because I would rather buy one from a breeder and wasnt sure what may be the best option. thanks

·
Registered
600 Posts
swpa87, by high maintainence, I meant they have a lot of energy to expend and taking them out a few hours a week ( or even a good walk in the evening will help them to use it up. basically they won't curl up on the couch and sleep all day.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
swpa87 said:
..... my wife was going to get us a brittany pup from somone but it fell through... that was 2mo ago and its probly for tye best because I would rather buy one from a breeder and wasnt sure what may be the best option. thanks
Make sure what ever breed you pick comes from good hunting stock so you are less likely to be dissapointed. Once you narrow down which breed you prefer get back on line and ask questions about good sources. The guys on here will be as helpful as they can (and we won't hold it against them that their not hunting behind a German Shorthair
) All the breeds are good it comes down to what you prefer. Big vs small. Long hair vs short hair. Do you want something that stops & holds point, a flusher or hound.
For training your best bet is find someone with already doing it or has done it. A trining buddy is the best tool there is.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Here's another vote for a beagle. I saw you mentioned rabbits and no other breed is going to run rabbits anything close to a beagle. My boy lives in the house and is best buds with my 8 year old son. I actually went away this past weekend for some small game hunting and my son was more upset that Chase was leaving than me. I also know of quite a few beagles that will chase and jump pheasants as well. As far as the barking I have never had an issue. He's quiet as a mouse in the house and only gets wound up and starts whining when the orange clothes come out of the closet. I just can't imagine not having him around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts