The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone do this..Using the sights and the miltary gun just like it is.. No Sportirizing it, no scope..

I often thought about how nice it would be to shoot a whitetail with a old miltary gun... Maybe a 303 Enfield.

·
Registered
25,787 Posts
Thumped a doe across from camp with my dad's WWII bring back VZ 24, some years ago. Issue sights, one round from his last box of 170gr 8x57 Core Lokts. Also killed a doe with the 1903 that was an uncle's deer rifle, also issue sights.

Most M98 sights are hard to hunt with. As recall, the sights on the 303 SMLE I once had, were much better?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I killed a seven point in '06 with a Lee-Enfield No.5 Mk. 1 Jungle carbine. 25 yard shot with a 180 grain Power point and he ran twenty yards and piled up.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
If the weather is bad, I carry a stock M44 Mossin Nagant. If the right ammo is used, you can shoot and cook the deer at the same time.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
DennyF said:
Most M98 sights are hard to hunt with. As recall, the sights on the 303 SMLE I once had, were much better?
Mauser sights are set for meters, alot of people look at the numbers on the ramped sights and think feet...if you think of them as yards you will be closer...100 meters = 390'.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
wis bang said:
DennyF said:
Mauser sights are set for meters, alot of people look at the numbers on the ramped sights and think feet...if you think of them as yards you will be closer...100 meters = 390'.
100 meters = 109 yards = 328 feet

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what Denny is likely referring to with the Mauser sights is their ultra low profile(especially with all the top wood) and the poor sight picture as a result. I never liked them much either....which is why mine has them removed and a nice 6X scope sitting on top.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
many deer perished using the good old US MODEL 03A3, also a swedish mauser model 38 6.5X55 sent a doe to the freezer

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just a bit of history...President John Kennedy was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald (maybe?) with a 6.5 Italian rifle.
Don't know if it was the M1891 or the model M91/38 Mannlicher-Carcano. However it was a 6.5 Italian caliber.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Also saw quite a few 6.5 Jap guns in my neighborhood when I was a kid...Probably M1905 Arisaka? Now that also would be a nice 6.5 caliber to own..

Always wanted my dad to buy me one of those Argentine miltary guns that American Auto use to have stacked in galvanized garbage cans. Now get this $10.00 yet...
someone told him the barrels were bent and that was the end of it. "Don't even ask me again kid!" "Ah dad when you listen to other people you make their mistakes!"
They would have been 7.65 X 53 calibers..

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
uncle buck said:
just a bit of history...President John Kennedy was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald (maybe?) with a 6.5 Italian rifle.
Don't know if it was the M1891 or the model M91/38 Mannlicher-Carcano. However it was a 6.5 Italian caliber.

Old Arlen convinced you of that too huh.

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
I've shot deer with:

M1896 Krag
M1903 Springfield
M1917 "Enfield"
M1896 Swedish Mauser
(all unaltered)

I've hunted with my M1 Garand (in North Carolina), but passed up a shot in hopes my dad would get a shot at the buck I let walk (but it didn't happen).

Mauser sights are often tough, but the Krag and 03 are pretty tough to hunt with, too. Some fishing jig paint is a big help, I used red and white, outline the rear notch with white, make the front post red/pink, and used them like "3-dot" pistol sights. Works MUCH better.

The M1903A3, the M1917, and British SMLE No. 4 Mk I (WWII vintage) are probably among the best bolt guns as far as sighting systems go. They all carry rear receiver aperture sights. The British SMLE No. 1 MkIII has very tough sights for hunting conditions (fine notch in the rear sight, much like the 03 and Krag).

I love hunting with my military rifles. I have another M1917 and now a Russian 91/30 that need to punch tags, and a Swiss K31 en route that will need to do the same. Still wish I could hunt with my M1, but I can cart it to NC when I go.

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I have just built up a 1903a4 repro sniper I plan on using for deer this year. Put a Weaver J2.5x 3/4 scope on it and I just can't wait to use it.

For non-scoped rifles it's hard to beat the K31 or 1911 Swiss rifles, although the ammo is pricey. No 4 or 5 Enfields with aperture sights and 1903a3's are excellents also. Although I have many Mausers I feel their sights blow for deer hunting.

Stetam

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
uncle buck said:
When I was in college, I bought one of those off a guy for $10,which is about what it was worth..Rear sight was a block of steel welded to the barrel with a notch in it.

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
Stetam said:
I have just built up a 1903a4 repro sniper I plan on using for deer this year. Put a Weaver J2.5x 3/4 scope on it and I just can't wait to use it.

For non-scoped rifles it's hard to beat the K31 or 1911 Swiss rifles, although the ammo is pricey. No 4 or 5 Enfields with aperture sights and 1903a3's are excellents also. Although I have many Mausers I feel their sights blow for deer hunting.

Stetam
Cabela's has Hornady ammo for the 7.5 Swiss....$24/20, which is about on par with most common cartridges. I plan to buy a couple boxes of it as much for the brass as anything else.

Mauser sights....yeah....gotta paint 'em. The Europeans loved their inverted "V" front sights and tiny rear notches. Early US rifles were no better. It wasn't till the 1917 that we got our act together as far as good sights, and we needed the Brits to design that one.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So nice that Remington and Wolf now sale miltary calbiers with soft points for hunting..way back when all you could get for some miltary rifles was the FMJ bullets..

I got my 303 Enfield with a spike bayonet at Boscov's a few years back..They wanted to get rid of them...$79.00...So glad that I did that..Gee maybe I should have purchased two?

·
Super Moderator
8,046 Posts
uncle buck said:
So nice that Remington and Wolf now sale miltary calbiers with soft points for hunting..way back when all you could get for some miltary rifles was the FMJ bullets..

I got my 303 Enfield with a spike bayonet at Boscov's a few years back..They wanted to get rid of them...$79.00...So glad that I did that..Gee maybe I should have purchased two?
Yeah, I scoffed at those "crappy Enfields" at the time. Now I could kick myself for not buying a carload of them.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts