The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to check to see if it is legal to hunt deer form a man made blind in all seasons and areas in PA now?

I found a section that says you may hunt big game from a blind in the hunting digest. I know in the past this was not legal.

<span style="color: #3366FF">Blinds: Blinds can be used for big game (see turkey section for specifics for
blinds while turkey hunting), however, the required amount of fluorescent
orange must be worn while in the blind, or a minimum of 100 square inches
of fluorescent orange material (orange alert band will suffice) must be displayed
within 15 feet of the blind and visible in a 360-degree arc.</span>

·
Registered
326 Posts
Blinds have always been legal for deer without restriction, to my knowledge. I believe turkey blinds were outlawed until recently and now must meet the requirements listed in the book.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember when I started hunting it was illegal to hunt deer or turkey from a man made blind.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
That reference to orange is only for gun season and concurrent small game. For archery the orange regs apply to blinds. So today you don't need any oragne

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was really referencing this "Blinds: Blinds can be used for big game (see turkey section for specifics for blinds while turkey hunting)"

From that I take it that it is legal to deer hunt from a man made blind. Correct?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It has always been legal to hunt deer from a man made blind, the only restrictions on blinds has been and is for turkey hunting. The requirement to be allowed to substitute the orange outside the blind instead of wearing it inside the blind is new, last couple of years. However, once outside the blind the orange must be worn as required by law.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
John, how long has the law allowing you to just put FO on outside of blind and not on your person? Would this also be if you are hunting in a stand (tree) that has all 4 sides closed in?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I think it was approved in 2007 at the Jan meeting. As far as the tree houses I have never heard of them being considered as a blind except for turkey which would not be legal. However, I would check with a WCO for a definitive answer.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
how can it be called a blind when hunting turkey and not when hunting deer? you would think if it is a blind on Monday then it would be a blind on Tuesday, nothing has changed with it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You think I sit around waiting for your question? Since you have decided to cop an attitude, I will let you figure it out. Don't tax your brain.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
He knows. but your response was uncalled for for someone that was wanting an answer.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
good way out, when you don't know fer sure.
Uh, if anyone on this board knows the Game Law, it would be JohnS.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Yea right, after reading Johns answers to many of the posts how he chops posters and gives smart comments to those who they don't answer the way he likes. With all his name calling....all I said was how can a blind be a blind one day and not another. John I am so sorry if I hunt your feelings, please forgive me. Just reread your answers sometimes before posting to other posters , cause they might have feelings too.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
ICAREDOYOU said:
OH John...no answer! That must of been just ONE of your laws!!
I'm just a 3rd party reading this post...You got mad when John S. didn't respond? You didn't even give him 24 hours and you were bashing him. Cut the man a break. I sometimes go days between signing on my computer. I'm sure John S. has some other things to do besides sit at his computer all day. Sounds to me like you have a personal issue with him from prior posts. Granted, John and I have had a difference of opinions too, but I never got mad because he didn't respond as fast as I thought he should.

Now on to the original topic...I have a homemade ladder stand with 3 foot sides on it. I surrounded the stand in camo burlap. When I sit down, only my head is above the sides. When I stand up, then only my legs are covered. Does a blind need to be completely enclosed to considered a blind? Can I have 2 stakes in the ground with a piece of burlap in between and be considered a blind?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
rlfb ,following is the law on your question. Notice this law only applies to blinds that meet the qualifications to use during the turkey seasions, in other words an all manmade material blind completetly inclosing the hunter. The law was intended for hunters in ground blinds, not tree stands. It is lawful to:

(5) Hunt during any firearms season for deer, elk or bear from any blind meeting the requirements in section 2308(b)(3) of the act and, in lieu of wearing the required 250 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material on the head, chest and back combined, place a minimum of 100 square inches of daylight fluorescent orange-colored material within 15 feet from the blind in a manner that it is visible in a 360° arc.

2308 (b) (3) Any artificial or manufactured turkey blind consisting of all manmade materials of sufficient density to block the detection of movement within the blind from an observer located outside of the blind.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Purely out of curiosity--why is it illegal--if I am reading it correctly--to construct a turkey blind out of natural materials?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is the million dollar question, the general assembly wrote the law, not the PGC, the PGC was not in favor of it. The general assembly believed it would be safer for turkey hunters inside of blinds. The only reason that comes to mind is that permanent turkey blinds when it was still unlaful to use a blind, were many time baited, however it would be no less effective to bait an area preseason, then a few days before the season errect a portable blind to allow the birds to aclimate to it so if that was the reason, and I am not saying it was, it makes little sense.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts