The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok last night the family got together and my niece wants to start hunting- she just turned 18- but never went hunting- now for the question- does she by law have to go thur the hunters safety course or is there an age limit on the course- i know for a fact she should go-just because she went hunting before- i can teach her alot- but the course has alot of information- but i am looking for what the law says- can anyone shed some light -- thank you and have a nice holiday

·
Registered
854 Posts
Who needs Hunter-Trapper Education?

Pennsylvania’s Game and Wildlife Code requires all first-time hunters and trappers, regardless of age, to attend and successfully complete the training. Participants must be at least 11 years of age to enroll in a course. (You must be 12 years old before you may begin to hunt.) There is no maximum age for enrollment. Parents are encouraged to attend the course with their children. Many states also require a certificate of hunter safety training before issuing a license. Experienced adults are again taking the course prior to hunting in another state/province or simply as refresher training.

Source: Pennsylvania Game Commission

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
barney said:
ok last night the family got together and my niece wants to start hunting- she just turned 18- but never went hunting- now for the question- does she by law have to go thur the hunters safety course or is there an age limit on the course- i know for a fact she should go-just because she went hunting before- i can teach her alot- but the course has alot of information- but i am looking for what the law says- can anyone shed some light -- thank you and have a nice holiday
I think she has to. But I'm confused, did she or didn't she hunt before?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes she must take and pass the class.

·
Registered
21,381 Posts
She can take the lions portion of the class on line, and go for a couple of hour finish up and test.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Yes,she needs the course,last time I was there,some if those kids were way too immature and dumb to be even near a loaded weapon,most of the test answers wrong,but still "passed" the test.it actually was a pretty informant class though,very good instructor,he really hammered down safe handling of a weapon

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she never went hunting-where she handled a gun- she always tagged along- my mind was working faster then my typing fingers--lol-but thank you- and i will tell her to take the course-- thank you all and have a nice holiday-

·
Registered
854 Posts
I am always asked to show my Hunter-Trapper Education Card when buying a hunting license.

Not sure if all places are following this procedure or not but they should be. Seems people can get around this system though.

Hope your niece does well on the test and can harvest a game animal.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you- she will- her boy friend got a doe this year and he taught her how to gut it- for a young lady who never had an interest in hunting and could do this - i have no dought she will be a great sportman (lady) one day- but i am glad she took an interest in this sport and she will complete the course- even if her boyfriend or myself will go with her-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts