The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been reluctant to join a club due to the politics involved with them. My brother in law owns a club and there always seems to be some dispute amongst the members. For example, John shoots a buck that Joe doesn't feel is a trophy. I am interested in joining a club I am just not interested in drama and [censored]. Are all clubs like that or just some?

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
It's not the club as much as the people who are in it.
I have never been in any club or organization that didn't have some sort of drama including the VFW,
The trick is enjoy it for what it is and don't get drawn in to the politics. If it is a club member shooting off his mouth and what you shoot is legal that's all that matters. If it's the owner and he has a rule nothing smaller then a 10 point or no shooting doe then he has a right to get on someone not following his rules, and most likely you will need to find another hunting option for next season.
Don't let the thought something is going to happen keep you from joining something that most likely will be fine. If it isn't for you at least you tried it.
Good luck.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
There is politics in the church choir. You can either engage in it or not, and in either case the trick is for you to be pleased with your choice.

·
Registered
359 Posts
There is drama in every organization. For the most part, you will get out what you put in. You'll find out 10% of the members do 90% of the work. The 90% that don't participate outside of hunting do most of the complaining. Talk to several members about how things operate. Give it a try. You can always leave if things don't work out. Make sure ALL the club rules are documented and followed. Problems arise when folks have verbal rules, or the rules are not consistently enforced.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll start looking into clubs. I like the idea of taking part in land management and things of that nature. There aren't any openings in my brother in laws club. They don't allow archery either. It's basically a rifle season club.

·
Registered
182 Posts
i would talk with members of the club privately to see what they like and don't like.

also see if you can go to a club meeting, club event and hunt a day or two with the club to make sure they do all 3 things in a manner you are happy with.

some clubs it's just a way to pay for a house/camp and all of the land hunted is members' private land which you are only allowed on while with the group for a drive, other clubs own property and maintain it

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
Tim62988 said:
also see if you can go to a club meeting, club event
Our by-laws actually state NO NON-Members can be present during a meeting.
This wasn't to discourage prospective members from sitting in but more to keep guys from bringing their 8 rugrats to the meetings and being disruptive.

As part of our application for membership we have a section for them to list their children=s ages and names.
I don't agree with this since I know it cost several good potential members acceptance due to them having to many kids that would be guaranteed acceptance as full members once they turn 18.
We invite them to come out to club events with their family and meet the other members.

To complete the application package the applicant needs to have 3 letters of recommendation from current members in good standing.
Their application package gets read read once completed at the next regularly scheduled meeting, then read again at the next meeting and voted on.
When we first started the club we handed out a white and black marble to each member in attendance, then passed around a box, if they had 2 black marbles they did not get in.
Now we have secrete ballots and write yes or no. They must receive more then 75% yes votes to become a member.

·
Banned
40,543 Posts
Remember the words of the late Groucho Marx

"I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER"

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
The replies here are so correct, some funny but true. Anytime 3 or more are gathered you will get 3 different opinions. The world is full of leaders, followers, givers and takers. I have never seen a perfected organization yet and took several years to convince my mother that of her church. My vol. fire has been a battle ground for self appointed power since 1939. All in all my fire company in the ends get the job done but its the way it works. I belong to a local club here in Md. with probably 500 members for around 2x acres with maybe 150 hunting it. Since 1988 they have had a rule of no doe hunting and last 10 years 6 point or better. There seems to be around 5 guys that really cares about our wildlife. They for some reason always have to do a mercy killing of a spike or doe. Do you kind of get my drift? I think for most part to be active and enjoy its a give and take thing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shaddartman said:
The day that my hunting is governed by a hunting club's rules/regs will be the last day for me to hunt.
It could be worth it. My brother in laws club has about six members and three of them usually score a trophy buck on the opener. It only costs about $200 a year for a 50/50 chance at a monster.

·
Registered
182 Posts
another thing, if you do join the club do NOT be afraid to bring up concerns and ultimately walk away.

one club i know has dues, now they are also doing a raffle and a few are very upset that some members aren't selling some/all of their allotted tickets

1 - 13 of 13 Posts