The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a post about funny/odd/strange thing you've seen out in the field, but what about the funny stories which come about due to life in camp?

I was invited to hunt up at a camp one time when I was a kid up in Northern Ney York near the town of Adams. When we got there, there was like 3 feet of snow on the ground but it had warmed up and was raining and foggy. A really dismal day. The next day my freind, his dad, the old fella who own the camp (Paul), and I went out hunting and the weather was much the same as the day before.

You pretty much had to slog through the wet snow to get anywhere, and it was pretty exausting. A little after dark we all began to trickle back into camp one by one to get warm and get some chow going. Old Paul was last to arrive and said "I need to freshen up some before dinner,"

He heated up some water on the woodstove and proceeded to take off his rubber boots and socks. He the washed his feet, dried them, sprayed them with Right Guard, put some clean socks on, and pulled his rubber boots on again. He didn't wash his face or anything, he just took care of his feet and ate his supper. I guess "freshening up" means different things in differnt areas.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Right after grandfather died, his place up in the poconos underwent a conversion from full-time home to part-time camp slash overnight stop station over the course of one very busy summer.

So dad, uncle B, my cousin and I are driving down the driveway when we spot a raccoon out by the garage. Little guy's just lying there.. dad said it's probably rabid, or at least hurt. So while my uncle and cousin unloaded the car, dad and I went back up the driveway to see to the raccoon. After several minutes of scrutiny and discussion, the decision was made that popping the poor fellow was the humane choice.

So dad pulls out the old Colt Woodsman and shoots it. Blam. The raccoon's arms and legs start pumping, so he shoots it again. Blam! Blam blam blam blam blam blam blam blam! Empties the whole magazine into it to stop it struggling.

My uncle, who had snuck up behind us, slapped his knee and laughed, "What'd he do, shoot back??"

ehh maybe you had to be there

1 - 2 of 2 Posts