The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been "threatening" to do this for a couple of years now. The time has finally come. I know some of you have issues with one or both organizations. I am ok with that. To each his own.

I have quite a few friends that are neither NRA or SAF members. A couple of them are not even registered to vote. So, when the conversation turns to gun rights, or politics in general I have a very hard time even talking to them, let alone keeping my cool.


I have a very comfortable hunting camp in Monroe county. It doubles as a vacation home. I invite as many family members and friends up as i can. We always have a great time, whether we harvest an animal or not. We try to hunt every season there is, so we spend as much time together as possible enjoying our passion. I just put everyone on notice that as of today, hunting camp will be for NRA/SAF members only. Each season i have asked the non members to consider joining. I've even put a holder on the table with NRA applications in it. Always the same lip service "yea, i know i should be a member....yada yada yada."

I've had enough, join the fight or go find another camp to hunt out of.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,333 Posts
While you might think its a good idea I dont feel its worth alienating friends that have hunted with you for years. You cant force anyone to follow your beliefs nor should you try. If thats how you feel I feel sorry for you. It was a tragedy but no more so than Oklahoma City or Columbine.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
24,445 Posts
Shooter X said:
I've been "threatening" to do this for a couple of years now. The time has finally come. I know some of you have issues with one or both organizations. I am ok with that. To each his own.

I have quite a few friends that are neither NRA or SAF members. A couple of them are not even registered to vote. So, when the conversation turns to gun rights, or politics in general I have a very hard time even talking to them, let alone keeping my cool.


I have a very comfortable hunting camp in Monroe county. It doubles as a vacation home. I invite as many family members and friends up as i can. We always have a great time, whether we harvest an animal or not. We try to hunt every season there is, so we spend as much time together as possible enjoying our passion. I just put everyone on notice that as of today, hunting camp will be for NRA/SAF members only. Each season i have asked the non members to consider joining. I've even put a holder on the table with NRA applications in it. Always the same lip service "yea, i know i should be a member....yada yada yada."

I've had enough, join the fight or go find another camp to hunt out of.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
Great idea , in my opinion there are way to many gun owners that are willing to set back and let the rest pay the bills for the freedom all gun owners enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
Great job John! The gun club I belong to is NRA membership required. Now is the time we need things like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,386 Posts
Haven't belonged to a club in a long time but when I did the NRA had great insurance for the club and landowners.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
I don't always succeed, but I try very hard to limit any conversations at camp pertaining to politics or religion.
To each their own, but either subject just brings arguments that breed discontent, and time at camp is meant to be peaceful and relaxing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
IMO the NRA sure dropped the ball with the last presidential election.. didnt see anything from them til the day before the election. Too little too late.... I'll have a hard time giving them more money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Coureur De Bois said:
I don't always succeed, but I try very hard to limit any conversations at camp pertaining to politics or religion.
To each their own, but either subject just brings arguments that breed discontent, and time at camp is meant to be peaceful and relaxing.
I know what you are saying, but i feel that to many people avoid the subject of politics and religion to avoid unpleasant conversations, and look at the shape our country in is because alot of people avoid conversation about politics and religion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,530 Posts
i agree and even told a non hunter nut shooter if he wanted to come to a home with a pool table kegulator ac and hot shower to eat shoot fish and relax then its time to jion NRA he joined . people you must understand w/o the NRA long ago and thru the times we wouldnt have any firearm rights today i own 1940s and 50s american rifleman mags and the gov. has always been after the gun rights. so enjoy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,714 Posts
Shooter X said:
Coureur De Bois said:
I don't always succeed, but I try very hard to limit any conversations at camp pertaining to politics or religion.
To each their own, but either subject just brings arguments that breed discontent, and time at camp is meant to be peaceful and relaxing.
I know what you are saying, but i feel that to many people avoid the subject of politics and religion to avoid unpleasant conversations, and look at the shape our country in is because alot of people avoid conversation about politics and religion
I'll agree, it does happen, just for that reason.
I'll argue either subject on here or in my home or another person's home, if they bring up the subject, most anytime, but not at camp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,190 Posts
when the nra stands up and allows the game commis to confiscate firearms from poachers i might think about supporting them. i have issues with some of the nra's policies. besides camp is not the place for politics its to relax and enjoy. i would never think of doing something like this in any way shape or form. what would be next , you can't come to camp unless your a white male over the age of 21 and a methodist? i don't push my ideals on anyone and i don't want yours pushed on me. personally i'd tell someone that would do that to go pound sand! i think your going to lose friends over this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,350 Posts
comblockshooter said:
when the nra stands up and allows the game commis to confiscate firearms from poachers i might think about supporting them. i have issues with some of the nra's policies. besides camp is not the place for politics its to relax and enjoy. i would never think of doing something like this in any way shape or form. what would be next , you can't come to camp unless your a white male over the age of 21 and a methodist? i don't push my ideals on anyone and i don't want yours pushed on me. personally i'd tell someone that would do that to go pound sand! i think your going to lose friends over this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
ShooterX,

It's your camp. You make the rules. Camp memberships, friendships and family relationships have been broken because of reasons far less stringent than the rule you have established.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
541 Posts
The NRA might NOT always be right but they have been right enough to protect every gun owner from losing 2nd amendment right to bear arms. With that right means confiscation of guns in this country will never happen. It takes an organization like NRA to fight for your right even if you are NOT a member. It is easy to let someone else pay to keep that fight on going and reap the rewards. I may not agree with everything the NRA does but I know w/o them I might not enjoy my sport like in other country around the world.

Life time member and proud of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,350 Posts
oldtimehunter said:
It takes an organization like NRA to fight for your right even if you are NOT a member. It is easy to let someone else pay to keep that fight on going and reap the rewards.
I guess this is like a union that is required to represent all employees covered by a contract (nonmembers as well as members).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't agree with everything the NRA has said and done (or not done) either. But ask yourself this "where would we be without them"? Organizations like the NRA, SAF, GOA and many others need our cash donations, and our membership numbers to fight the fight everyday. I repeat where would we be without their constant effort?

Oh, and by the way.....100% in support of the new camp rules from the guys.
 
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Top