The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tired of boots that leak, don't perform up to par. Just received a pair of Lacrosse pac boots, 2000 gr insulation. Put them on for first time today, felt good, lightweight, all was looking good until I stepped into a puddle of water, toes got wet, cold. Not happy, they're going back to store Monday am.

I'm looking for a good solid pac boot 1200 gram insulation or more and hopefully 100 % waterproof.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm a fan of the true goretex waterproofing. Some of the knockoff stuff is hit or miss I think, but I've always had luck with the real goretex.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I wouldn't even look at any boots that aren't Goretex…. NO matter what the claim is from the off brand. I'm hooked on Danner boots now. Cost a little more, but they really fit my feet well and hold up for years. Pronghorn are my favorite model. I have uninsulated, 400 and 800 gram models.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have never found a leather boot to be consistently waterproof even though I treat them with silicone and Nikwax. I wear leather because it is comfortable, not because it is waterproof.

I walk my dog in woods every day. To keep my feet dry, I got rubber boots. They don't have support of leather but I know my feet will be dry. There are a lot of models with different amounts of insulation. The rubber boots may be just what you are looking for.

Since you were looking for an insulated pac boot, I figure you wanted something warm too. I have electric socks which will really help when sitting on stand in cold. The chemical pack toe warmers are good to. They are not comfortable if you do a lot of walking though.

Recently, I bought a pair of rubber overshoes. They sell them at Tractor Supply. I put them over a pair of old hiking boots. That gave me the best of both worlds. The leather boot has comfortable support and the rubber overshoe provides the water protection. I never have to take the rubber overshoe off to clean and dress the leather. Works great for me although I only wear them for short walks in rain.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have a pair of under armour brow tines that are 5 years old and my feet have never gotten wet walking through creeks . they are gore-tex but they are only 800gr. they stopped making 1200gr.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I wouldn't even look at any boots that aren't Goretex…. NO matter what the claim is from the off brand. I'm hooked on Danner boots now. Cost a little more, but they really fit my feet well and hold up for years. Pronghorn are my favorite model. I have uninsulated, 400 and 800 gram models.
I have pronghorns in 800 and 1200 and wouldn't consider anything else. They are the only boots that I have found that work with me allow me to walk and also post up and keep my toes warm no matter what I step in along the way. I have ~6-7 years on my 2 pairs.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for feedback. I'm looking at Irish setter 860 elk, 1000gr boots, with gortex. Gotten some great reviews

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kenetrek or Schnees may be what your looking for.

Ah, the Unknown Hunter posts again. Sorry man, your avatar just cracks me up.
Anybody remember the Unknown Comic, wore a paper bag over his head?
Lol, its my then 5yr. old son. Thats the kind of stuff that goes on when a 5 yr old does a all day sit in a ground blind.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I bought 1000gm Irish Setter Elk Trackers 10 ago for a elk hunt. Still wearing them. Liked them so well, pick up a pair of 200gm for the warmer days or drives.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
My buddies always ask me if I recently bought any brand new pairs of boots because i go through boots like people wear sneakers.
I always look for hunting and work boots that have gortex. Listed below are some of the boots that I recall having.

I had a pair of Rockies and after about 3 or 4 years they leaked, so I replaced them with wolverines and they leaked on my very first outing. Returned them anbought Danners. As mentioned by others Danners pronghorn were one of the best pair of boots I had but after several years of hard use they leaked. I was going to buy another pair but I read some bad reviews because they were now being made in china. I then replaced them with Cabela's Perfek hunter boots that are made in Germany. Had these boots for about 6 years now and still going strong.

I had a great pair of hiking boots (then work boots) that I bought at Cabelas when they first opened in Hamburg PA that I bought for $25. during a sidewalk sale. I had them for over ten years until the soles started to fall and they never leaked.

I also have sorels pac boots over 30 years old that I still wear on occasions. Cabelas knee High boots, and a pair of 10 inch lacrosse rubber boots with a zipper in the front . My go to boots for the majority of my hunting and yard work. Never had any leaks in any of these boots,

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
Thanks for feedback. I'm looking at Irish setter 860 elk, 1000gr boots, with gortex. Gotten some great reviews
I'll give you another great review for Irish Setter boots. For the past few years, my feet have been chronically getting cold. I've had other boots up to 1200 grams and they still got cold. Last year, right after Christmas, one of our local shops had boots on sale. The salesperson recommended these Irish Setter 2000 gram boots and I bought them. The first day of bear season this year was the first I wore them. 10 inches of snow on the ground and I had to cross a stream to get where I was going. My feet stayed dry and never even began to get cold all day, even standing in all that snow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Update on boots: held up fine 6 days deer hunting, 3 rabbit hunting trips, no water leaks, hopefully I can get couple of years out of them

1 - 20 of 41 Posts