The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just hoping to get some suggestions on which hunting/hiking boots to get for heading out west this fall. Right now I have the Lowa Rangers GTX's but am looking for maybe 7"or 8" for a bit more support for the big mountains. Here are the three I am considering, any input would be great.

1)Kenetrek Hardscrabble Hiker
2)Lowa Tibet Pro GTX
3)Schnee's Beartooth

I am open to other suggestions as well

Thanks in Advance -Hammer

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
Don't buy anything where the sole is molded to the upper.
Always buy boots where the upper is stitched to the lower.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
All 3 you have listed are excellent boots. I have the Lowa GTX's also.

I would also suggest the Meidl Alaskan Hikers they are an 8" boot that has incredible support and they last forever!! I have beat the snot out of my pair and they are still as solid as the day I got them. I would suggest getting them and wearing them around for a few weeks before heading for the mountains, they are a stiff boot that take a little break in period..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I want all of your opinions on hunting boots. The last 3 pairs of rockys I have bought leak bad. I always had good luck with rocky boots but in the last couple of years thier quality has gone down hill. I want a good pair for this hunting season that won't leak. No rubber boots suggestions please, I won't be wading. Tell me what your wearing and how many grams of thinsulate.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I had the same prob with rockys they were my fav now the are junk last 2 pairs did not last more than a year. But to the first question i would get the light weight ones that fit the best and have the things you want in them. I have never had any you list but go with what feels best you would hate to mess up a good hunt by having probs with you feet. I have got blisters a few time from walking a lot of miles in poor fitting boots. Never agin will i skimp on boots.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
When I went on my 10 day elk hunt in Monanta I used my hiking boots becasue the weather was real nice for the whole time. My Danners (Pronghorns) were never laced up.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up getting the Lowa Tibets. So Far I love them. After a two week break in its like they have been molded to my foot. Havent tested them in extreme conditions yet but so far I would recommend them.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fjp110 said:
Lacrosse burly uninsulated with good socks. every season no matte the temp. dove through turkey
Wow good thing you read the original post! Or maybe you did and still like to hike the rockies in your burly's. Very helpful moron.

·
Registered
10,314 Posts
I dont like any of the 3 choices you gave because they all appear to have the soles molded, not stitched to the uppers.

Had a pair of Danners with the molded sole, and they started getting torn up after 2 seasons and leaked. Molded soles can not be repaired, stitched soles can.

Aside from that they were lite, had good traction, were warm, and comfortable.

But if you are paying $200 to $300 for a pair of boots you want them to last.

I ended up replacing my Danners with Irish Setter boots.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...1929&hasJS=true

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you are buying a leather boot..........I like Danners and Irish Setters
If you are buying rubber.............Lacrosse Alpha Burly
JMHO

Dave

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have any of you guys endorsing the irish setters tried the trophy quest. They look sweet.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
hammerdown15, i think fjp110,was just trying to tell you what he like and what he would use, telling him he is a moron, will not get you to many members to reply back to you,

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mdmlm said:
hammerdown15, i think fjp110,was just trying to tell you what he like and what he would use, telling him he is a moron, will not get you to many members to reply back to you,
Yea thanks, as you know I got your PM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts