The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys use hunting blinds for spring gobbler?

I have 2. A Doghouse and a Brickhouse. Love the Brickhouse (hub style) blind! Except the door is way too small! Just got the zipper repaired after I broke it last year. The Doghouse has those annoying tent like poles that you have to put together. However it does have a nice big door.

Question: Both blinds are noisey. How close do you get to a roosted bird when setting one up? I'm scared of getting to close and trying to set up a blind for fear of bumping him off the roost.

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
if you arent using a bow do you need the blind? I learned in trout fishing that packing as light as you can, helps to fish more effectivly. take only the necessities.

Seems like it would not be worth the risk, to me.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
I try to set them ahead when hunting at first light. It is more work and relies on past intel. It is tough to sit tight in a pre set blind and listen to a gobbler that is a tad to far to work correctly. But, if did the homework, that Tom should want to be around the blind at some point.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I use one when archery hunting. I take it with me and set it up befor first light (takes 10min. tops if you no what your doing). Works great! I'v killed two birds with archery tackle and both were withn 15yds. of the blind.

When using a shotgun I generally do not take it as I'm running and gunning majority of the time.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Use a double bull 95% of the time when turkey hunting. I love the older (Pre-primos era) Matrix. But have the Darkhorse as well. They both get the job done. Hub style, black lined, little to no fabric flap and limited sheen really set it in a league of its own in comparison to other ground blinds.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I normally dont hunt from a blind, wondering if it spooks them if you just set it up in the AM before the hunt.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Ghost said:
I normally dont hunt from a blind, wondering if it spooks them if you just set it up in the AM before the hunt.
I use one with my kids. As others have said, get there early enough that they can't see you set it up, and you won't have any problem with the blind spooking birds. I routinely set up the blind in the dark, and we get right in to hunt. This year in Kentucky on the youth hunt, we set the blind up about 6:20am, and Syd shot one of three strutters at 24 yards at 7:05 am. If they cared that the blind was sitting on the field edge in plain sight (not brushed in), they never showed it. Not the best pic, but the blind in the background looks just like it did when the birds came in.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Pigger said:
Question: Both blinds are noisey. How close do you get to a roosted bird when setting one up? I'm scared of getting to close and trying to set up a blind for fear of bumping him off the roost.
I don't try to get as close with a blind as I do when just parking my backside next to a tree. I've never knowingly bumped a roosted tom by setting a blind too close, but I haven't pushed the envelope much either, unless it's raining (noisy) while I'm making the approach and setting up.

·
Registered
19,811 Posts
Yep. No need to brush in blinds for turkeys. They are oblivious to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got mine set up today. Secured to the ground. Calling for high winds tomorrow and Saturday AM. Had birds screaming all around me. Hens are starting to break up. Should be a great morning.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I have set up a hub-style blind 50 yards out into a field the morning of a hunt and had 40 turkeys walk within 10 yards of the thing. As long as you can't be seen in the blind or allow yourself to be backlit, thus cancelling out the "blackout" effect of a blind (by foolishly leaving a rear window open)you should be fine. Turkeys are fine with a new object as long as it isn't moving or doesn't shine. Now a deer on the other hand will straight up freak out if you go and plop a blind down as they are always on the lookout for things that are out of place. I have had more than one spring gobbler hunt that started out as a slam dunk get ruined by a couple does that didn't like my blind being there and took it upon themselves to let the whoooooole woodlot know about it by stomping and snorting, spooking that strutting tom that wa on it's way in to an quick death...

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Thats great news, Im taking a junior out on saturday, I can put the blind up the night before and all we have to do is get in and set up. I was out scouting this AM, saw 4 hens, 2 jakes and a big long beard, knock on wood she'll be able to seal the deal on saturday!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
If it were me and I was hunting private land, I'd set the blind up the night before; or better yet, a few days in advance.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hunt public land/state forest. I have ocasionally set the blind up the night before. We have killed a few turkeys from it. I have had hens within 7 yards of the blind and not even bat an eye. I really enjoy both hunting from the blind and sitting against a tree without one. Not ever sure if I'm going to use the blind or not. It's kind of a last minute decision based on the situation. I have never tried to get close to a roosted bird and set a blind up. I never had much luck killing birds right off the roost anyhow. Seems most times they flydown, the hens go to them and then the game is over. That's kinda why I like a blind. It allows me to play the waiting game easier without being detected.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts