The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the atv world. Local Honda dealer is offering significant discounts on Rancher models because they are red and most people in my rural area like green.

I want to use the ATV for hunting as well as small chores around camp. Should I care about the color?

·
Registered
244 Posts
As far as deer seeing you, no. Other hunters and possibly a bandit or two yes. To me harder to see means harder to steal. People kill deer from a few feet away in full blaze orange suits so I don't expect much difference in color. If the discounts are that large you can always paint or buy new plastics to get whatever color you want.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't know if the color you choose is that important. My '94 Honda is green. I think red was the only other choice I had at the time. I would think the sheen to the new plastic would be more noticeable than the color. I do like the new Honda color that is a blue/gray slate color.
I'm not sure what is the right choice for color, but I do know Honda is a great choice for machine.
My friend mechanic was servicing an ATV recently, not sure what it was, but it was maybe like advantage camo color. It must have set out a lot, it had faded to a pink/purple camo. I actually thought it was made like that as a girls model. It wasn't.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
My ATV is a Green Kawasaki, I carry a camo ATV cover that stores in it's own bag. I just throw it in one of the cargo baskets and when I get to where I park near my stand, after I unload my gear, I just put the cover on it. It covers it down to the wheels, easier than messing around with paint or stick on stuff. It used to cover the wheels before I put the front and rear cargo baskets on bit it covers enough to be rid of any shine. Quite frankly, I was more worried about the smell than I was with the shine but it has been no problem.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Where at and how big of a discount?

·
Registered
21,268 Posts
I bought my son a camo rancher but only because he needed the cool factor.Color never made any difference to me.It's a great machine but I'm not nuts about the thumb shifter.

·
Registered
20,160 Posts
I would save money by buying the red one if its that much cheaper then spend some of that savings on a good chain and lock if theft is what your worried about.

Color will make very little difference to a deer.

Good luck with your new toy

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The ATV I used the last 15 years was a bright red Honda.
The deer didn't care a lick about it.

I'm in the market for a new one now, lost access to the red honda (buddy got divorced, ex took it.)
Seeing as there's about a $600 up-charge for camo these days, I don't care what color I land on when I find the right deal.
Krylon is cheap enough...

·
Super Moderator
13,419 Posts
My ATV is camo. I often see deer walking around it from my tree stand or as I return to the ATV. However I don't think deer care about the color. I don't believe deer are afraid of the ATV in any color as they do not appear to panic at the sight of a vehicle on the road or even huge farm equipment setting in the middle of a field. However, I try to park my 4 wheeler as far as practical from my stand, off known deer trails and use terrain or vegitation to conceal outline.

I as many others have driven right up on deer many times with my 4 wheeler and they seem to stand in place until I might attempt to get off the ATV. We are told that deer see red as a shade of blue. We from our youth are thought that Red is a warning or stop sign. I do not believe the fawns are taught that by their mothers.

I selected camo basically because it does not stand out to hunters giving away some of my secret spots and if people do not see it in the woods they are not able to walk up for a closer look...better unseen.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
My Polaris ranger is sage green. Camo prices were $500 higher back then.. plus the fact was their camo would turn a purple hue when exposed to long term UV rays.. MY green is the same color as the day I brought i home (2014) I had deer walk right past mine uncovered and never gave it a glance

1 - 20 of 25 Posts