The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ladies hunt alone or always go with someone? I don't work, but my husband does. My boys are in school all day. I have a lot of time to go out on my own, but I've been afraid. Maybe some reassurance is what I need.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
I hunt alone in Archery Season. I'm getting ready to hang a stand on private property in Green Co on Thursday and make the trip down once a week for an all day hunt on my own til archery lets out. It takes a good 45 minutes to get there so I'll stay all day to make it count.

I've been hunting that property for 3 years now and I know where I like to go so that doesn't get me nervous. I won't venture unless I'm with my brother and his buddy who own it. We usually take long walks through nasty stuff to get the deer up and running during rifle season. A few times of doing that and you get to know the place pretty quickly.

Sometimes, I get nervous and say what if but I ALWAYS tell my husband and brother where I'm going and you should too! It is very important that you have a plan in place just in case. I hope my biggest obstical to overcome will be trying to figure out how in the world I will get a BIG BUCK in my truck by myself!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't think I'd say that I've hunted completely alone, or at least I don't feel alone. There has always been someone somewhere around. At my boyfriends place, when I'm in the tree, there might be someone at the house or he is just down the road hunting. I have my phone on me and I have my pistol. There is always someone that knows where I am and would come looking for me.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I hunt my friends farm by myself . but i hunt with my husband and my cousin and our friends . I to carry my pistol also . When my father inlaw was alive he gave me a whistle to wear around my kneck this was 25 yrs ago . i still have the whistle and I wear it all the time in hunting season . he said a whistle sound will carry futher that yelling .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may try to go out. We are members of a local sportsman club and we can hunt the property. Its really close to where we live. I have been taking at least one of my boys with me, but i find that I'm more stressed because i have to worry about them too. Since i haven't been able to harvest a deer yet, i may have to go it alone. And if im successful, i can drive home for help.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My boys are 15 and 12. My husband took a few days off of work so we could go out. Yesterday evening he went into the woods and i sat in another spot by the tree line. He came out of the woods an hr later and sat along the tree line too. About a half hr later a beautiful doe came up the hill. I had to guess the distance, took a shot and totally missed. I don't even know how because we checked the distance later and i was spot on at 40 yards. I knew i missed because the doe leaped, the trotted off and doubled back around as my husband and i stepped out of the brush. She stared straight at us and the leaped away. I'm so confused about what went wrong. We are hoping to get another chance today.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I guess I'd worry about them too. Are you or your husband always with one of them when they go hunting?

I wouldn't think too much about what went wrong. If you practise and get good groupings at 40yrds, then maybe there was a fluke. A last second flinch, gust of wind, she dodged it, etc...

I actually just had my first miss/shot last Friday. I know what went wrong. I got to my boyfriends right after work. Changed and ran to the stand. I'm there for 5 mins and here she comes. Maybe about 10yrds away, if that. Walking broadside of me to the right. I raised my bow, got her to stop, and shot. I think it went under her. I should not have taken that shot. I was shaking so bad. Lol First time I ever shot an arrow at a deer and I forget rule number 1. Patience, steadiness. At least that's out of my system now. She didn't even run. I had to have my boyfriends brother bring me another arrow (yeah I went in with only one). She was still there when he gave it to me but left when he did. 20mins later, she comes back. I had a perfect shot again. This time the shaking was gone, but when I pulled back, my release wasn't set good and boing went my arrow. Haha Of course she came back again awhile later, but with 4 friends and with so many eyes so close, I couldn't move to make a shot.
The next day I was in a different spot and I was told a trick. I was hunting at the edge of a field so figuring out where in the 60yrd width field the deer is, would be hard without checking. So you grab a big rock of log and stick it out there and range it. That way when you got a deer in site, but can't range it without being seen, you look at where it is in relation to the object you already ranged. It seemed so simple to me, but it was awesome. I knew right where I needed the deer to be for my comfort zone.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, HoneyDoe. Yes, we are always with our boys. We never let them go off alone.
I used your advice yesterday about the rock. Would have worked great if we saw some action. Unfortunately, we were at our club hunting and a bunch of people were practice shooting their rifles. And when they left a man across the road was mowing his yard with a super loud mower. Usually after the noise, the deer will come out shortly, but yesterday everyone was there too late. [censored] sitting for so long and seeing nothing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. I have been hunting here in Greene county for the past 12 years. Archery by far is my love and passion. I have mostly been hunting alone for that time. It is so hard to get together with friends because we all work different schedules. I have a friend who is liason for the Divas, southwestern Pa. chapter. It is a group formed out of Texas for the promotion of womens shooting and hunting sports. I will be getting together with her today with one goal in my mind and that is to try to get a group of women together for a hunt on either her and her husbands property or mine. Of course no money involved just trying to have a girls day out, meet new friends, get a couple of deer, and share experiences and wisdom. And of course laugh a lot and have fun! Please ladies, give me some feedback if you think this might be something that would be fun or if you all might be interested. Please I welcome any questions or suggestions! Parker.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had no idea there was a group like that around here. Meeting and talking with other women who hunt is one of the main reasons I joined this forum in the first place. How does someone get involved on this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am meeting with her at 11:30 today. She is fantastic with organizing group activities with a touch of class! I will get back with you as soon as we are done. I don't know if you are into shooting guns, but we get together , us women, for clay shoots. I don't know about you but I have guys that I hunt with off and on but it is so hard to get women together because there aren't as many of us who love the sport. I will get back to you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah I got too guns now. I need a shotgun and I'll be set. I usually hunt with my boyfriend or his friends. There aren't any girls I know to hunt with. So definitely let me know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm also very interested. I have been having some issues with getting out there alone. And i don't know anyone, ladies, that are interested in hunting, fishing, ect. It would be great to meet like minded females.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just got back. 2 ideas. First having a "sighting in day" maybe a week before Thanksgiving. Here we can meet each other and get our rifles sighted in. Later, a day in December, would be the actual hunt. I have 3 ladder stands, 1 totally enclosed 4 x 8 tree stand and a blind. You also have plenty of opportunity to hunt from the ground if you like. The property is big enough that we can all hunt but not too big that we will be alone. Please let me know if this sounds good. See ya! goin out with my bow to see if anyone is about. Probably too warm but still gonna try!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Honey Doe, keep after em girl. I have to give you credit to keep hunting after I was told of your first deer hunt, and what happened with your nose. You and my wife work at the same company so I get told of your success. Just wish my wife would show some interest in the hunting sports but after 30 years of being maried to her I know it will never happen.

Good luck to you, Janie and the rest of the women on this site and please be safe!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks Pappy! Didn't take me long at all to know who you are. Haha The nose wasn't bad enough to leave a negative impression. Besides, what's the worse that could happen if I do it again?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts