The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Looking for advise on a mid range air gun for PLINKING & PEST CONTROL, mostly crows, starlings, small animals.

There I changed it for ya! Now it's politically correct. Gamo makes a nice gun!

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a gamo big cat. It has been great at pest control at 50 yards. Got tired of loosing crops in my garden to pests and pests hissing at my kids if they got to close to the garden.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I picked up a RWS Model 34 Diana at an auction awhile back. Very accurate, well balanced German made air rifle. If memory serves me I paid about $80 for it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is illegal to use an airgun to shoot ANY wildlife, including crows and starlings and small animals. Pest control does not void the prohibition.
I suggest before you advise someone on something that can get them in trouble you know what you are talking about.
Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
John S said:
(5) Any device operated by air, chemical or gas cylinder by which a projectile of any size or kind can be discharged or propelled.
So the way that is written gunpowder is not considered a chemical?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
matt75bronco said:
John S said:
So the way that is written gunpowder is not considered a chemical?

The wording "air, chemical or gas cylinder" is interpreted to mean three types of cylinders used to propel a projectile: air cylinders, chemical cylinders or gas cylinders. Notice that there is no comma after the word "chemical" in the 2308(a.5) statute language.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It's a shame that we can't legally use airguns for small game and pest control. There are some very effective options on the market today. Of course it's one of those laws that I doubt is enforced much, if at all. Especially for those of us out in the rural areas.

·
Registered
25,493 Posts
It, like the rest of the game laws, will be enforced IF they catch you violating it.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
John S said:
It is illegal to use an airgun to shoot ANY wildlife, including crows and starlings and small animals. Pest control does not void the prohibition.
I suggest before you advise someone on something that can get them in trouble you know what you are talking about.
Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt or aid, abet, assist or conspire to hunt any game or wildlife through the use of:
Geez, JohnS, all I did was elimate the word 'hunting' from his post! and you slam me for giving him bad legal advice??? I was focusing more on the air rifle aspect of the question rather than the 'killing' of anything. I beg your forgiveness.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
Like most game laws there is the written letter of the law and the spirit of the law, which is the legislative intent. Most LE are more concerned about enforcing the spirit of the law. The letter of the law prohibits any air gun hunting but the spirit probably has more to do with the taking (secretly or otherwise) of big game and open hunting of small game. I'm doubtful the spirit was to prevent rural landowners from shooting starlings and rats in and around their barns and outbuildings.

If you attend the NRA show this weekend you will see a lot of unbelievable airguns, look much more like space weapons than hunting arms.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It was hard enough to get a Game Warden to come when I called in a deer poaching with lic. plate #'s and evidence. I doubt I'd see one if I called in someone using a .22cal air rifle for squirrels or starlings instead of a .22LR.

·
Registered
833 Posts
These Guy's will eat you up!!!, I have a Cross Bow set up with a night light and laser !!! The Horton 0wnes the night !! and the day for any thing lurking in the Garden or around the Property !!!! If they don't like that I can quickly remove the Laser then its legal for night calling and anything else that shows up!! You can do the math on which has more SMOKE, AIR-GUN OR CROSSBOW !!! BRING IT !!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts