The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you knew where a Huge bear lived, how would you hunt this bear. Let's go as far as saying you know this is the walking state record and you know which " mountian " he lives on. Drives are outta the question. Is there such a thing as patterning a black bear ? To me the bow season seems the only way, besides dumb luck.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Bears are very mobile,males can travel 50-100 miles in the spring..If you find a big bear a couple weeks before the archery or rifle season and there is plenty of preferred foods in that area there is a good chance you will see him in that area during one of the hunting seasons..Food keeps them in an area during the Fall more so then the spring when food is everywhere..

·
Registered
761 Posts
I do not know about patterning a bear. there territories are large. Now I do know you can hunt travel corridors and have done so with success in bow seasons. Down side is lots of time used and no sure thing. I would say give it a try.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be that this bear is to old, or perhaps to big to travel much ? But when i said mt i'm talking 25 sq miles of it. Also this bear IS collared.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
A bears nest?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
grovey said:
Could it be that this bear is to old, or perhaps to big to travel much ? But when i said mt i'm talking 25 sq miles of it. Also this bear IS collared.
If the bear is collared it is a female.

·
Registered
948 Posts
R.W.J said:
grovey said:
I shot a male in 2010 that was collared.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Bears definitely "nest". Sometimes they'll sit most of the winter on these rather then truley hibernating, especially if food is plentiful and the weather is fair. These nests will be in some of the most out of the way places with good vantage points, such as steep rock outcroppings. If you scout hard and can find its nest, you can plan a stalk.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
R.W.J said:
A bears nest?
Yes, bears will make a nest to "den" in.......especially the males, or some of the females with older cubs etc.........they dig out sort of a shallow depression, most times in pine needles, up under a blown down tree, somewhere of the likes of that........they generally look like a large birds nest......

·
Registered
968 Posts
Buckshot1822 said:
R.W.J said:
A bears nest?
Yes, bears will make a nest to "den" in.......especially the males, or some of the females with older cubs etc.........they dig out sort of a shallow depression, most times in pine needles, up under a blown down tree, somewhere of the likes of that........they generally look like a large birds nest......
+1 on that found one a couple of years ago about 6' in diameter on a thick rocky bench in clinton county. Found it while crawling on my belly tracking the hit bear on the first day of bear season.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
One of my uncles told me that the bear that crosses the
road in front of you tonight will most likely be 10 miles
away by morning. They move around alot.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Id say that's wrong Jericho. If a bear doesn't need to go 10 miles, it wont. If there is food available they don't go burning all their calories just for sport.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've only saw a few bears in the wild. The first was a bear
seen 8 to 10 miles away 2 days earlier. How do i know it was the same one? I had my doubts about the 3 legged bear my friend saw behind his house, 2 days later it walked accross the rd in front of us while spotlighting. We watched it from 30 yds away for a few mins. This was in the lowlands of franklin county.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By the way the area where this BIG bear is see's a fair amount of pressure from drivers in bear season, and it is a boar.

·
Registered
36,582 Posts
OHaraTree said:
Id say that's wrong Jericho. If a bear doesn't need to go 10 miles, it wont. If there is food available they don't go burning all their calories just for sport.
That's right, if there's a food source nearby; say corn or soybeans, they stick close by and won't wander all over the countryside. Bears won't expend more energy than neceaary. They usually use the same trail everyday going to and from their bedding area.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The key to this bear is FOOD.... I'm by far not a bear expert, but I will bet money that this year I can kill a bear.. I don't want to though.. A bear if not pressured will stay in a tight vicinity .. He needs peace and quiet, water, food and heavy cover.. It will be very patternable during archery season for bears..

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
waynectyhunter said:
R.W.J said:
grovey said:
Its rare to have a collared male in PA

·
Registered
948 Posts
R.W.J said:
waynectyhunter said:
R.W.J said:
grovey said:
Its rare to have a collared male in PA
Do you know how I can get information on it? When I took it to the weigh station, they took all my personal information so they could send me what they learned about the bear. However, I never received anything. I think it would be interesting to see where they bear had been.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts