The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great day in the woods for my son and I! I've only archery hunted 4 days in the past three years but have been in the woods a lot during archery season. For me, it's rotating my three oldest for hunting time. Some days we don't hunt because of my schedule, or because they are all, or one, or two are in other after school activities. My wife heads in one direction and I in the other as we support and watch the sports and other activities of our 4 kids.
We have managed to get out about 2-3 days a week after school and Saturdays for at least part of the day during archery season so far this year. After a close call on a couple of bucks the night before with my oldest daughter, my son decides deer hunting instead of duck hunting is going to be his choice on his turn Saturday morning.

At 7:50am, he puts a great shot on this buck at 15 yards. I watch it run and then go down 60 yards away! Was he ever excited? It took about 10 minutes of calm down time before I unhooked his harness for the climb down from the double ladder stand! I had the video camera but he came in so quick and close, that I never had a chance to get it up and turned on in the 45 seconds between 1st seeing him and when Hunter made the shot. No matter, it will be etched in both our minds for years to come!

10/25/2014 7:50am
My son Hunter, 12 yrs old
1A Mercer Co.
Barnett crossbow
15 yd shot, 60 yd recovery
9 pt, 18 1/2" inside spread, 155 lbs dressed

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Wow am I ever envious!! That's an awesome buck! He might as well give up now cause that'll be tough to top! Lol

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
Nice buck young man, congrats

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Congrats. He's gonna have a hard time topping that.

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
Dang, been hunting 30 years and have never shot one close to that. Great job fellas. Awesome!

·
Banned
130 Posts
Hunter.... WHOA!!!! NICE BUCK. Hey DAD, I know your saying calm down time, but.... I would need CALM down too!!! ha ha.. Great memory there for you two, bet the blood was pumping for the BOTH of ya on that encounter.
Love pics like these!!!

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Congrats Hunter!!! I think I would need more than 10 min to calm down on him. Wow!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts