The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "lady friend" and I are both senior citizens... One look will confirm that...
She had never hunted and wanted to try her luck. I told her that she MUST take the Hunter Safety Class in order to legally buy a Pa hunting license. Sooo together we both sat thru the 12 hour class. It certainly did no harm but incredibly boring on a hot hot weekend...but... I insisted that we take the class so she could get the license.
Today she bought a Pa license in the Washington Pa Gander Mountain.
When we met tonight she says... "Well! We spent all that time last weekend sitting in the hot and stuffy room listening to all that Hunter Safety stuff but the person at Gander Mountain had no interest in whether I had a Safety Completion card. the person didn't even ask about it... She just took the personal info, SS#, money and gave me the license."
Soooo I gotta ask this illustrious and knowledgeable group... Is there no longer a requirement for persons with NO previous hunting license to demonstrate to the selling agent a safety class completion?
I certainly will be watchiing this column for answers 'cause... Well... when you persuade a lady that she should do something that is boring and sorta uncomfortable becuase "It is a requirement" and then it appears that it ain't... Well... the lady now is wondering about anything else I say is part of the Hunting Regulation stuff....

·
Registered
174 Posts
Many youth hunters have purchased a license in SWPA, without taking the required HTE course. Is a SS# asked when taking the course? If not it would be impossible to match all the names with a SS#. Making it easy for anyone to get a license without taking the HTE class. Maybe RWJ, can add to this.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Here is what I think. I think if you were born prior to a certain year you do not need to have a hunter safety card. I don't think my grandpa needed a hunter safety card when he hunted out of state. When I go to buy a hunting license with my dad I take my hunter safety card along and lay it on the counter for the salesperson to see. I think the first time I purchased a hunting license I was asked for the card so I just place it on the counter now rather than being asked. I don't think they ever ask my dad to see his but I know he has a card because he had it when he hunted out of state. Maybe it was just assumed based on your friends age that she had the hunter safety card. I am sorry that you found your hunter safety class boring. My dad sat in the back of the room when I took my class and I don't remember him complaining that he was bored. I shouldn't bring it up but I will but does a mentored youth need to have a hunter safety card to go hunting? No and I disagree with these rules but to show that it is related to your post, would I find it wrong or irresponsible if your friend went hunting without having completed the hunters safety course. Yes. Ultimately the salesperson probably should have asked to see a hunters safety card but I am sure they don't care and are just trying to sell a license. As I mentioned maybe age has something to do with.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Ever since they stopped making you fill out an application to get your license, the agents at a lot of 'big' stores stopped checking if you had a prior license -or- a card. I did bring last year's license for my PALS 'customer' number.

The last 4 - 5 times b/4 PALS they didn't bother to look in the book to see if I was on the list of people w/ suspended privileges either though PALS automated that function.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
All first time hunters are required to take and pass a Hunter-trapper education class. Mentored youth (youth under the age of 12)are the only exception and in that case the mentor must be licensed (there a some exceptions) and is responsible and accountable for all actions of the mentored youth occuring while engaged in hunting or related activities.
The violation is on the store for not asking or checking not the person buying the license.

·
Registered
215 Posts
IMO, most "chain" stores do not asked for previous license or a hunter safety card. My son and I always take ours, but usually the never pay any attenton to it. I remember a few years ago, when they started with the SSN# "stuff". My son was a young teen (13 or 14) we went got our license, we forgot his SSN#, they (Wal-mart) gave him his license, but I had to call in the number. That really surprised me because as I stated earlier, they rarely check anyone's info.

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Will maybe, just maybe, the clerk might have ASSuMEd she had a license before and wasn't a first timer by her age. But they still should have asked her.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Since we no longer fiil out the application,I don't know.
I would think with the new system,if you are not allready in the system,they would be prompted to ask you.
If there is no prompt to ask if you have had a prior lic.or a card,then the pals system is faulty!
Just a bug that needs taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
The class is required.Would your lady freind feel good about breaking the law?I would think not.Maybe you just need to tell her she obeyed the law and the sales clerk broke it.

·
Super Moderator
4,706 Posts
Oh and I sat through the class for a third time and took it last summer.Some spots were boring but some times were fun and I got to see some really happy kids.Not just mine either.The instructors impressed me enough that my entire family are members now.Myself and one other man were the only two people that took the time to thank the instructors for thier time.More folks should consider the time they spend helping others get an HTE card.Unpaid volunteers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My brother in law is 19 now and they wont sell him one because he was born after 1990. They said he needs to take the course. He doesnt want to sit through the class, but I told him I wouldnt take him unless he did. Its very educational.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
JD3 said:
Here is what I think. I think if you were born prior to a certain year you do not need to have a hunter safety card. I don't think my grandpa needed a hunter safety card when he hunted out of state. When I go to buy a hunting license with my dad I take my hunter safety card along and lay it on the counter for the salesperson to see. I think the first time I purchased a hunting license I was asked for the card so I just place it on the counter now rather than being asked. I don't think they ever ask my dad to see his but I know he has a card because he had it when he hunted out of state. Maybe it was just assumed based on your friends age that she had the hunter safety card. I am sorry that you found your hunter safety class boring. My dad sat in the back of the room when I took my class and I don't remember him complaining that he was bored. I shouldn't bring it up but I will but does a mentored youth need to have a hunter safety card to go hunting? No and I disagree with these rules but to show that it is related to your post, would I find it wrong or irresponsible if your friend went hunting without having completed the hunters safety course. Yes. Ultimately the salesperson probably should have asked to see a hunters safety card but I am sure they don't care and are just trying to sell a license. As I mentioned maybe age has something to do with.
This used to be the case before 1984 if memory serves. I started hunting in the early 60's. Back then there was no hunter's safety course. Now, since I have held a prior hunting license, I am not required to take the course. But, lets say I never hunted before and decided to start at the ripe old age of 66. I then would be required by law to take the course since the law now reads that "ALL " persons who desire to hunt in PA are required to have taken the course.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
being born after 1990 has nothing to do with it. He could be 40 years of age and he would need a hunter ed course before he cold buy a license if he never had a license before.

·
Registered
25,594 Posts
Section 2704

b) Hunter education. - Persons who have not held a hunting license lawfully issued to them in this Commonwealth or another state or nation or have not hunted under the exceptions in section 2706 (relating to resident license and fee exemptions) or do not possess a certificate of training approved by the director prior to the enactment of this title shall be required to attain accreditation in a hunter education program approved by the director before a hunting license is issued to them. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a person who presents:

(1) Evidence of service in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard and discharge or separation under honorable conditions within six months of the date of application.

(2) Evidence that the person is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard.

IIRC, there was once a mention of those born before a certain date, not having to have HTE, but that was back when HTE was a fairly new concept/requirement?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Hunter education was started in PA in 1959 and became mandatory in 1969. At that time there was a grandfather clause for people born before a certain date. That clause has long since expired and I doubt any of those exempt are still living. This is from the PGC website:

By law, all first-time hunters and trappers, regardless
of age, must successfully complete this training
program before they can buy a license
. A training
certificate, which is recognized throughout North America
is awarded at the end of the course. You must be
at least 11 years old to enroll in a class. Parents
are encouraged to attend with their children.

There is an exemption for people on active duty in the military, that is it :

(1) Evidence of service in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard and discharge or separation under honorable conditions within six months of the date of application.

(2) Evidence that the person is currently serving in the armed forces of the United States or in the United States Coast Guard.

·
Registered
25,594 Posts
Thought it had "expired" or had been removed?

My dad stopped hunting for several years, decided to start buying a license again, when my son got his first license in 1986. Told him since he didn't have an old license to show when be tried to buy a new one, he'd have to sit through an HTE course with a bunch of little pencil necks.

My bud and I had some great fun with him over that, then my buddy ruined it, by telling the ol' man that there was an affidavit line on the application that he could sign, stating he'd had a previous license.

BTW, as to the OP's contention about the HTE course being boring, I'm of the opinion that it wouldn't hurt the majority of older hunters to sit through the course. Though I didn't need to, took the course with my son in 1986.

As with driving, some folks manage to pick up lots of bad habits over the years and could use a "swift kick".

·
Registered
630 Posts
I feel the corse is important and I carry my safety card and bow hunter card in my wallet all the time and in all my years of hunting have never been asked to see it when buying a license so why don't they ask for it any one could buy a license.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
I have a dumb question
do nonresidents that have had a licence in another state have to take a hunter ed course if they wanna get a pa licence?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Turkey4life
The answer is NO as long as they have a Hunter Safety card from their home state.
Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts