The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt private land with written permission from the owner.
The land borders 2 other properties that are private and posted. One of my favorite hunting spots for deer and turkey is about 40 yards from the neighbors land which is clearly marked. I am legally hunting on land to which I have permission, but the neighbor hates it because I'm so called "Boarder Hunting" his property. Whenever he knows I'm hunting this property he takes a walk around his property border to make sure we are not trespassing or hunting within eyesight of his property line. If he see's
me hunting (legally on the property I have permission) he
begins to yell and carry on about me hunting too close to his property line. It's all wooded land and his home is at least 500 yards from where I hunt. I'm tired of him ruining my hunt several times a year and I warned him that if it happened again I would report him for hunter harassment. The question is.....do I call the local, state police or PA game commission to file a report when it
happens again?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
So you feel the neighbor does not have the right to do as he wishes on his own property ? the solution seems simple quit antagonizing him and move away from the property line.problem solved

·
Administrator
29,872 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
So you feel the neighbor does not have the right to do as he wishes on his own property ? the solution seems simple quit antagonizing him and move away from the property line.problem solved
How is legally hunting considered antagonizing? As well, this neighbor is not just doing as he wishes, he is in fact harrassing a legal hunter.
If he see's
me hunting (legally on the property I have permission) he
begins to yell and carry on about me hunting too close to his property line.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
The hunter harassment law requires intent be proven. Unless it can be proven that the neighbor is walking on his property solely to interfere with your hunting you won't have a case. You call the PGC to report harassment.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
He can walk his property all he wants, what he can't do is yell and scream at you on another property. Not rocket science. Proving it is another issue.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
From what i've been told, Call the PGC. Hopefully they'll come out and issue the guy a warning. If they catch him the next time, hopefully they'll have the needed intent.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:

That's a bonehead response.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hunter8319 said:
darkhollowarcher said:

it may sound boneheaded to the line sitters , but not so much to other property owners , the only reason i can see for sitting on property lines is the hope of takeing game on other landowners property.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Hunter8319 said:
darkhollowarcher said:

it may sound boneheaded to the line sitters , but not so much to other property owners , the only reason i can see for sitting on property lines is the hope of takeing game on other landowners property.
Assuming you have land, how far away from your property line is an acceptable distance for your neighbors to hunt?

Also do you pay the taxes on the portions of their property that they're not allowed to use (According to you)?

If someone legally shoots an animal on their own property but it runs onto your property, do you allow them to retrieve it?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes i do , neighbors are welcome anytime , strangers are not.
pay my own taxs and will do as i please on that land.
if its a stranger "NO"

·
Banned
22,296 Posts
Years ago I had permission to archery hunt just a sliver of land between 2 posted wooded properties. It was open field maybe 80 yds wide with no cover and only 1 hedgerow at the end. But the deer used that hedgerow to go between the two wooded properties.

The one property owner insisted I was hunting his property and even after showing him my ladder stand location he wasn't buying it. If he saw my truck he walked every inch of his property looking for me.

So I used him to my advantage since the deer only moved early morning or just before dark. I could park a few hundred yards from my stand but I purposely parked the next road over and walked all the way around his property to get where I had permission. But he come home from work, see my truck, and walk all over his property looking for me thus pushing the deer early and they'd sneak right up the hedgerow to me.

Picking a parking spot is sometimes just as important as stand placement when hunting urban areas.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Make sure the owner of the lang you are on is ok with your call. As a neighbor he may ask you to quit hunting not wanting bothered with the dispute.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Yes i do , neighbors are welcome anytime , strangers are not.
pay my own taxs and will do as i please on that land.
if its a stranger "NO"
You still didn't answer my questions.

How far have you told your neighbors to stay away from your property while hunting?

I figured you paid your own taxes but I asked do you help pay the neighbors taxes considering you like to tell them what to do with their own land.

It's funny how you'll "do as i please" on your land. But no one else is allowed to do the same.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Dale Sholder said:
Video cameras work wonders for this sort of thing.
Exactly. Videos do work wonders here. If a person is hunting 40 yards off the border and facing into the adjacent property, that is one thing. If they person is facing away from or at the very least focusing more towards the property he is allowed to be on then there is no "wrong" that I see.

I cant stand it when landowners act like they own the bordering properties too.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Seems like someones reading comprehension is lacking my neighbors are welcome on my land , its the stranger/line sitters that are not welcome

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
darkhollowarcher said:
Seems like someones reading comprehension is lacking my neighbors are welcome on my land , its the stranger/line sitters that are not welcome
Yeah we aren't talking about your land. We are talking about land adjacent to yours since you obviously took the position on the side of the adjacent landowner (who as described is acting like an idiot). You can allow and control who enters your land however you want, but if you insist on yapping at people hunting on the other side of the border, then you deserve whatever comes your way.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
So, the other "landowner", or anyone he happens to give permission to hunt his property doesn't have the "right" to hunt said property if it's too close to your property? Doesn't he have landowner rights too? Or do those just pertain you?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts