The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you will not hunt if the wind is wrong for your spot, especially if hunting time is limited?

I did not hunt Tuesday because the wind was wrong and the only thing I know for sure is that I did not kill a deer.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Entirely depends on the spot. Hunting big woods deer I absolutely stay out if the wind is wrong. Some spots around home in 5B I hunt regardless of the wind because they live with human scent.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
If the wind is wrong or changes and is not favorable relative to where the deer are at and where they are expected to come from, I will get down and reset or just go home if I don't have any other options.

I DO NOT rely solely on the wind though. My scent REDUCTION regimen is strict so in the case a buck "J Hooks" and comes at me from downwind, I will be confident knowing I took the precautions I could to help reduce my downwind human odor, even if it's only a small percentage vs. the guy who refuses to give into scent reduction measures.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Entirely depends on the spot. Hunting big woods deer I absolutely stay out if the wind is wrong. Some spots around home in 5B I hunt regardless of the wind because they live with human scent.
This^ Areas I hunt the deer are used to human scent, i try to pick a stand site with favorable winds, but may not totally dismiss a spot solely on wind. That being said i do my best to reduce my scent no matter where i am hunting.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Same as a couple guys above. It depends where I am hunting. If I am hunting big woods then I pay attention to the wind. If I am hunting a small suburban woodlot where human scent is always present then I tend to take some chances.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Certain spots, i wont hunt with a bad wind. These are usually close to bedding areas. Other travel corridors, i will hunt with a bad wind, but i will try and locate myself to reduce scent impact.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I used to hunt a residential area and to be honest,I got busted up in a tree more in one year than I ever got busted in the big woods.The little buggers seemed to know where people were a threat and where they weren't.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've lost count of the times I've had deer come in from unexpected directions. I might be more cautious if only hunting a particular animal, but as an equal oppurtunity hunter, it's first come first served, so, unless it's a totally ridiculous wind swirling all over, I'm likely to hunt where I planned.

·
Registered
919 Posts
What do you guys do when hunting big woods during the rut. I’m not hunting food or bedding because they are both everywhere. I’m usually hunting the edge of different age cuts. They are both thick and can hold deer at any given time. I can have deer come from any direction. I usually try to place my stand down wind of where I’m facing.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
My experience has been that peak rut is the ONLY time you can get away with bad wind in the big woods. I’ve seen bucks with their nose to ground after does that were completely oblivious to everything else around them. Even then, I do everything I can to place myself downwind of where I expect deer to come from. But in the rut they can and do come from any direction.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What do you guys do when hunting big woods during the rut. I’m not hunting food or bedding because they are both everywhere. I’m usually hunting the edge of different age cuts. They are both thick and can hold deer at any given time. I can have deer come from any direction. I usually try to place my stand down wind of where I’m facing.
During the rut I don’t pay as much attention to the wind for my scent as I do during early/late season in a sense. I’m usually sitting down wind of a MAJOR bedding area, not SATELLITE bedding. I don’t care where I think the buck is coming from as long as I’m down wind of MAJOR bedding since that’s where he will be. I will also sit in a staging area but may sit just down wind of the expected travel routes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I’ve got enough stand options that a quick glance at the wind and I know where to go. Now during the rut, I’ll absolutely take a chance on marginal winds because the season is getting close to being done and there’s a good chance that’ll be the last time I hunt that spot anyways. Sometimes you gotta risk it for the biscuit.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've lost count of the times I've had deer come in from unexpected directions. I might be more cautious if only hunting a particular animal, but as an equal oppurtunity hunter, it's first come first served, so, unless it's a totally ridiculous wind swirling all over, I'm likely to hunt where I planned.
I think this most mirrors my opinion.

Deer show up from all directions. My guess is that those who are very strict about the wind are hunting one deer as you said.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I’m hunting Wayne National and found an area that was tore up with buck sign on Wednesday. I tried two different trees that afternoon and none would work with the East winds we have been having. I pulled out and won’t be back till Saturday when this cold front with western winds arrives. When in doubt pull out, you may only get one chance

·
Registered
616 Posts
I only have 3 stands I hunt. They are all on the mountain in different areas of coarse. The wind is blowin the same direction for all 3 stands usually. So I rely on my scent cover up. It don't matter which way the wind is blowin for me, the only way I git busted is if they catch me movein.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I think it comes down to where your Hunting.
I do my best to be scent free but at a local property I hunt no matter which way the wind is blowing
the scent of humans and dogs is always present coming from the adjoining properties.
The owner of one of the neighboring properties must have an outdoor range set up.
I've heard hundreds of rounds being fired and yet still see Deer. They are used to the daily sounds and smells IMO.
Lord knows how how many ladder stands are set up on all these properties so the Deer do look up.
You'll get away with an unfavorable wind but with Movement you won't.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I take the wind in to consideration but here in 5B I hunt when I can regardless. The deer at this particular spot can and do come from every direction. If I hadn't hunted this morning I wouldn't have gotten busted, but the deer came in from a direction they don't normally and I don't regret it. They didn't see me and they're used to human scent so they'll be back. It seems any time I put stock in the wind it just swirls the whole time and is rarely consistent.

·
Registered
9,477 Posts
Certain ares I hunt are tight quarters and are usually the last bit of sanctuary when hunting pressure picks up. I won’t go into those spots if the wind is wrong. Also have a couple possible buck beds I scouted that I just can’t seem to get the right wind to hunt so far this season. Absolutely won’t go into a spot that I know gives me zero chance of not seeing deer with the wrong wind. Other places I will hunt regardless because a deer can come from multiple directions. Really not too worried about ruining any of those spots because I am usually one and done anyhow or at least wait a while before hunting it again.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I don't worry about the wind and i do not hunt in suburban areas and i have no issues with seeing and harvesting deer. The wind changes direction all the time. I have yet to be busted while hunting in a tree stand and have had deer even lick my rope dangling from it. I have had deer so close while hunting on the ground with the wind blowing against my back into the deers face to where i could reach out and touch them. For scent control all i do is throw my clothes in a plastic bin that has pine branches, leaves and acorns in it. I wash my clothes once or twice a year in baking soda and thats it. My youngest brother who is 30 thinks he needs to buy all the latest and greatest scent control products and he gets busted in the tree or the ground all the time and he goes pretty high in a tree, higher than i do.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts