The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another post got me to wondering.......

The PA license digest for YEARS listed no open season on Huns and Sharpies. Maybe it still does.

Obviously neither have ever been native to PA. They had to have been a Game Commission experiment of some sort, I would suspect. When and where were either Huns or Sharpies released into PA ??

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes there was.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John S said:
Yes there was.
Do you know any of the particulars of when and where ?

It seems that there is NOTHING in PA that resembles Sharptail country. But you'd think that Huns just might stand a chance.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Huns were stocked from 1925 to 1943. Sharptails, 25 pair were stocked in 1934. Chukars were stocked in NW PA 1in 1936. In 1931 the PGC Reeves pheasants and even propagated them for a while.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oddly, about 5-6 years ago we were up at the elk veiwing platform near Benzette and I saw a chukar, I took a picture of it. I was talking to the game commision guy who was up there and he acted like I was some stupid city guy telling me they were called "grouse". I showed him the picture that was just off the parking lot and he was very surprised to say the least. I'm sure it had been released but that was a pretty strange place to see one.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Not really, it is common for people, especially those with dogs to release them and hunt them, to keep their dogs tuned up or just for fun.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Years ago I was driving down 241 near Colebrook and a chukar was jogging down the road, pulled up beside it, it looked at me and then jogged off into someones yard, figured it was a stocked bird someone put on the gamelands to shoot.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Rem 17 said:
Oddly, about 5-6 years ago we were up at the elk veiwing platform near Benzette and I saw a chukar, I took a picture of it. I was talking to the game commision guy who was up there and he acted like I was some stupid city guy telling me they were called "grouse". I showed him the picture that was just off the parking lot and he was very surprised to say the least. I'm sure it had been released but that was a pretty strange place to see one.
The fields and strip jobs around that area make a great training ground.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John S said:
Huns were stocked from 1925 to 1943. Sharptails, 25 pair were stocked in 1934. Chukars were stocked in NW PA 1in 1936. In 1931 the PGC Reeves pheasants and even propagated them for a while.
So from stocking programs that ended 70+ years ago, the Game Commission feels it's necessary to STILL include these birds in the digest as "no open season" ??

Is there actually somewhere in the state that populations of them have survived all this time and still exist ??????

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have been shaking my head over that for a long time. You can shoot huns on regulated hunting grounds.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my mind the sharpies were a boneheaded move........ even for back then. NOTHING in PA resembles sharpie habitat.

Now Huns and Reeve's....... Huns seemingly should have a chance anywhere that ringnecks or bobwhites could stand a chance. And I often wondered why someone didn't try a Reeve's project other than for the expense maybe. Reeve's are wild ones and BIG fliers.

Considering the dubious state of our last few remaining wild bobwhites and ringnecks, it seems like if there isn't an alternative bird that could be introduced, we are pretty much looking at hunting released populations of the ringnecked ditch chicken for eternity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts