The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing either a Hummingbird Helix 5 DI or a Lowrance Hook 5. Not interested in GPS model or side imaging, just sonar/down imaging. I've read quite a few poor reviews about the Lowrance on Amazon and a fair amount on the hummingbird as well. Was wondering if any of you gentlemen have any experience with either unit?

·
Super Moderator
4,554 Posts
Go with the bird, their customer service is top notch if you would ever need to use them!

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Realtrehntr said:
Go with the bird, their customer service is top notch if you would ever need to use them!
I agree with that.

I have used both. Both are good units but Lowrance repairs are expensive.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Helix. If nothing just for the customer service. I've almost bought a helix 9 about 15 times since they came out. Hard to justify that kind of money just to get the autochart live but I'm pretty sure I need it lol. I have a side imaging unit and rarely use it or down imaging. I'd like to have a new lowrance with the 3D structure scan but that's way way out of this guys price range.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
beagler said:
Went with the Helix 5 DI. Just installed it. Thanks guys.
Beagler, let us know how you like it.

I've been looking into the Garmin Striker 4 which is a combo fishfinder/GPS. Looks like a great unit for the kayak but I can be easily swayed....

·
Registered
133 Posts
trapperrick said:
beagler said:

I've been looking into the Garmin Striker 4 which is a combo fishfinder/GPS. Looks like a great unit for the kayak but I can be easily swayed....
Trapper, not sure if you were looking at the Striker 4 with the portable kit, but I recently bought one, have only used it twice but i really like it so far. At $199 it was the only unit in that price range that has GPS, and since i want to take my kayak down to the shore and put it in the Delaware Bay, i wanted GPS. The portable unit is perfect for the yak because it comes with a suction cup transducer mount, so i can easily take it off when i fish the river so the transducer doesn't get the crap beat out of it. Good luck with whatever you choose

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
JLCPERRY said:
trapperrick said:
beagler said:

Trapper, not sure if you were looking at the Striker 4 with the portable kit, but I recently bought one, have only used it twice but i really like it so far. At $199 it was the only unit in that price range that has GPS, and since i want to take my kayak down to the shore and put it in the Delaware Bay, i wanted GPS. The portable unit is perfect for the yak because it comes with a suction cup transducer mount, so i can easily take it off when i fish the river so the transducer doesn't get the crap beat out of it. Good luck with whatever you choose
Awesome! Thanks for the info JLCPERRY.
Yes, I was looking into the portable unit for that very reason, portability. I figured I could take it ice fishing as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts