The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a huge body bird with a full fan and over a inch spurs but it has a nice shiny black 4 inch beard. Cant see any rot it looks like it's just a beard that never grew and boy is he a fighter

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
When I was new to turkey hunting I called in a huge bird with a very thick 4 inch beard. I made him scream for 45 minutes. He crossed within 10 yards of me twice and destroyed my decoy. My first turkey I shot the year before had an 11.5" beard. So being naïve, I figured he was just a Jake and let him walk. After a year or two I realized that that thick 4" beard was attached to an old monarch.

No do overs in life usually, live and learn.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Shot a bird several years ago that bottomed out a 25 lb fish scale. Had a 5.25" beard and 1 5/8" spurs. My biggest spurs to date.
On another note shot one with 11.5" beard weighed 14 lbs and had to use the spur stretcher on him to get those nubs to 3/4".

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Get em Frank!!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Few years back, tagged a bird with 1.25" spurs and a short beard that looked like it was cut clean with a pair of scissors. Straight across no long strands, all the same length. He gobbled and ran us up and down for hours acting like he owned the place. Definitely a boss tom unafraid to gobble in another tom. Strangest beard though.

·
Registered
5,959 Posts
I've seen a dead gobbler with no visible beard. The beard root was there, it was ripped off by an ice ball. Also seen a dead mature gobbler with no spurs whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
13,543 Posts
A buddy harvested a big mature gobbler several years ago which had black legs and feet.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
about 12 years ago I shot a gobbler that thundered at me from 50 yards for over an hour. He kept circling me but would not come any closer. I was in a blind but had a crossbow so I wanted at least a 30 yard or under shot. Finally he went to leave that field at 35 yards so I let fly. That turkey died instantly, not even a quiver. He was a big old gobbler but only had 3 long 10" single strands of beard. I never even noticed he didn't have a beard until then. I suppose it would have been an illegal harvest had I thought about it. But in the end he was bearded...sort of. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts