The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found more acorns than ever at some of the spots we regularly hunt and the deer have been hitting them since October. We are still hunting around them now with the muzzleloaders and it seems there will be acorns on the ground for the next few months. My buddy was able to get a great buck while hunting over the oaks in October. Has anyone else seen a huge number of acorns this year? My buddy was also able film his October hunt.

https://youtu.be/odwqo2wvQQE

·
Registered
22,150 Posts
first..not a lot of acorns where i go.

second...really nice video, really enjoyed it.
third...why do people always laugh after killing something on video...i just dont get it. i dont feel that happy after killing a deer or even a groundhog

fourth...please see #2 before stomping on me :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

third...why do people always laugh after killing something on video...i just dont get it. i dont feel that happy after killing a deer or even a groundhog

fourth...please see #2 before stomping on me /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I agree with 2 and 3. Although I rarely ever laugh in life as it is. Certainly not laughing over killing an animal.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
No nuts at all on our stomping grounds this year. Very few last year. Animals going after ANY food source. Blessing to have the heavy ice week or 2 back and knock down huge amounts of browse! Scored half dozen with the flinter over toppled trees thus far...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Some parts of 2G had great red oak crops that were viable but the vast majority were rotten. In the part I was hunting, hickory nuts and red oak acorns started falling heavily in august. I did not notice worm holes then, but by October it was tough to find an acorn that wasn't rotten. someone mentioned army worms as the potential culprit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

fourth...please see #2 before stomping on me /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
I’m not going to stomp on anything, I appreciate that you like the video I get a lot of people that hate that I post any sort of videos. And we just get very excited and I know that my buddy was so excited because he has been working year round to try and make his hunting area better. I know about 3 years ago he could hunt for a week without seeing a deer and now he sees deer almost every sit. Thanks for writing a post.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some parts of 2G had great red oak crops that were viable but the vast majority were rotten. In the part I was hunting, hickory nuts and red oak acorns started falling heavily in august. I did not notice worm holes then, but by October it was tough to find an acorn that wasn't rotten. someone mentioned army worms as the potential culprit.
It is amazing how few rotten acorns I have seen for the amount on the ground. I could pick up about 15 acorns just from arms reach around my spot on the ground, and not we’re rotten or even soft

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
We found more acorns than ever at some of the spots we regularly hunt and the deer have been hitting them since October. We are still hunting around them now with the muzzleloaders and it seems there will be acorns on the ground for the next few months. My buddy was able to get a great buck while hunting over the oaks in October. Has anyone else seen a huge number of acorns this year?
Yes, I've been seeing lots of acorns in Centre Cty this year.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Great red oak crop...and good white oak early

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cause they were leftovers from last years bumper crop.
This is not the case in many parts of southern 2G, Red oak acorns fell early like in August and September. I did not look closely at them until archery season started, but by archery season the vast majority had a single worm hole and were rotten inside. There were some that still fell around the normal time and that were viable, but that was a small percentage of the total crop.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Record crop of red oak acorns where I hunted in 5C. Deer didn't have to move much and if you had a red oak flat near a bedding area you had a honey hole.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Worst year I've ever seen around here for acorns and found a few reds early and nothing once the season came in. Nice video Congrats.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Worst year I've ever seen around here for acorns and found a few reds early and nothing once the season came in. Nice video Congrats.
Thanks it’s a shame that oaks are such an inconsistent food source. We might not see any acorns for years now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts