The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have a HSS vest??? cabelas has one on sale..like 90$ for one that usually costs 160$ or something...

right now i use the one that came with my summit...not comfy and a pain in the butt to put on in the dark etc...

parents gave me a cabelas gift card...one time in my life i really cant think of anything i want or need from cabelas...

years i archery hunt i am in a tree A LOT..3-6 days a week...6 days a week dark to dark from Halloween on typically...comfort is HUGE...

i wont hunt without a harness...

figured maybe thatd be a good purchase....and my parents would be happy to see i bought something like that for myself..

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I have one as well. Goes on easy as long as I have a little forethought when I put it away. I keep mine in it's own bag to keep from getting tangled around other stuff. Half the time I forget that it's even on, and I've been known to wear it ground hunting for the extra pockets and an easier drag.

The only downside that I personally have is that the particular settings I have to fit my leg loops places the metal rings directly across from each other, so they clang when I hook them up and walk. Simply solved by unhooking and pocketing one of the straps until I get to the tree.

I say go for it. Harnesses need replaced every now and then, and your parents will appreciate their gift keeping you safe.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Those vests must be hot in warmer climes down south. And I can see you have to be well ordered on pre-dawn hikes through the woods.

Miss the old days, before harnesses, and survived somehow.
Thinking of it, it was certainly before the advent of harnesses. Sure was.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
Yeah I have to agree and say go for. I hate those cheap harnesses they send along with stands. Always getting tangled and a complete pain. The HSS vest are pretty nice. I have an older one, one of the earlier models. It does a great job and is really easy to use.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys! Will get it ordered! Ive wanted one for years but been too cheap...but fighting with the straps gets old in a hurry...

My parents have a friend paralyzed from a fall...i might be turning 26..but they'd still tan my hide if i hunted without one...and i wont hunt without one...

Do you guys wear them over everything? Or under your outer layer?? I usually wear my harness under my outer layer now...and likely would do the same wth the vest...

·
Super Moderator
4,536 Posts
I have one and really like it. When its warmer out, I just wear it on the outer layer, and when its cold, I wear it under my coat, no problems either way.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have a HSS Pro Series. It had the built in bino harness which is really nice. I always wear mine as an outer layer, but I did just purchase a new Under Armour coat that has the slot in the back. So when it is cold I'll just wear that coat over my harness. You made a good choice!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the pro series it's mesh not hot at all and would not hunt without it also use for dragging.My 12 yr. old got a spyder harness also a great ez harness the only reason he didn't get a HSS couldn't find one that fit right.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
I have Pro Series, an Ultra Light and a new Ultra Light Hybrid. HSS is the only way to go!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx guys...the one on sale isnt mesh..looks like nylon and may get warm especially on the back...

might suck it up and buy the ultra-lite extreme..

i wont use the pockets or anything anyways...the ultra lite seems like it'd really be comfy..

the deer drag actually works well??? i usually just grab an antler and start tugging..being in my mid 20s and strong and decently fit helps a lot..my worst solo drag was pretty bad...warm day..ATV trails everywhere and no good way to hide anything...no lock for my climber..attached my pack to my stand..stuffed my outter layers between the seat and the stand..secured my bow in there as well...and down the mountain we went..bad thing was most of the mountain side down to the bottom was old tree tops..

my buddies NEVER drive a truck to get deer from camp..but most never hunt on top where i do...now i learned better..i walk in and drag out the top..ATV trail runs the entire way...and pretty flat shot..

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I picked up the ultralight extreme last season. Very nice! Prior to that I had the reversible orange/camo model,it was nice but it was bulky and warm in the early season. The ultra lite extreme is very nice!

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx Dave...that is my thinking too...that heavy nylon snug on the body will get warm and trap heat/sweat...i often hike in...i pack my outer layers and enough stuff..rather put my harness on at the truck...

I think id like the ultra lite better...

·
Registered
12,252 Posts
I used to have the vest and then last year I got the Ultralite. I prefer the Ultralite hands down over the vest. Cooler in hot weather and fits nicely under my jacket when it is cold.

·
Registered
18,703 Posts
I have two HSS vests and a Gorilla EXO Tech. Of the three, I wear the HSS bowhunter light the most.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I find mine to be annoying to deal with. Since I tend to carry the majority of my clothes on my back on the walk in it just consumes to much space in my backpack. It's not the harness for me but for someone who gets completely dressed before heading into the woods it would work okay. Good starter vest for children.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
mauser06 said:
the deer drag actually works well???
My 2011 buck field dressed at 154, and I just hooked him up and got him out quite easily. A week later I just about killed myself getting an 80-pounf doe out of the same place without the harness.

I'm no slouch, but if I want to work out, I'll go for a run around the farm. When it comes to getting a deer out with gobs of other equipment, I want it as easy as possible. The harness offers an easy, hands-free drag... I xan drag a deer, shoulder a stand and pack, grab my bow and still have a free hand for the walk out. The harness distributes the weight evenly and lets you use your legs more with less upper-body stress.

BTW, mine is the mesh Pro series, I think. I wouldn't want one that wasn't mesh.... I sweat too much as it is.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have the pro series and have no complaints with it. I switched to the ultra lite series and love it. Either way both good products

·
Registered
20,571 Posts
The HSS was one of the best things I ever got for bowhunting. It is so much easier than the slings and contrapions that come with a new stand.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts