The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought some of y'all might be interested in a resolution that dropped in the US House last week which could have major impacts on wildlife across the country if passed.

The legislation would tax energy revenues generated on federal lands and waters to put towards wildlife conservation. This would be similar to Pittman-Robertson funds for hunting or Dingell-Johnson funds for fishing.

Although the funds would be intended for conserving and recovering rare species or species that are at risk of becoming rare, the funds would also benefit game species through habitat management and restoration. For instance, many rare birds are rare because of insufficient availability of early successional habitat. This habitat is also the habitat that is often limiting game birds such as grouse, woodcock, and quail. Deer, bear, rabbits, and other species also tend to do better in this habitat.

I believe the resolution was dropped this past week and will be formally considered during the 2017-2018 legislative session. Whether you support or oppose it, I suggest contacting your elected officials to let them know.

http://wildlife.org/1-3-billion-wildlife-funding-bill-introduced-in-house-of-representatives/

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
* * Habitat restoration done for one species usually helps multiple others. More often than not, game animals reside in that mix.

Conservation, the wise use / restoration efforts returned North American game animals to huntable populations in short order after the ravages of natural resources for industry in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The tweety birds were benefactors of that effort.

So it goes. Now we are going the other way with habitat restoration.

·
Registered
24,864 Posts
I would be more concerned about the strings attached to the funds... saying what & what you cant do on those lands that have received the funding... Not that I don't trust the antis in this world , mind you....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts