The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hunting PA is having a YOUTH ESSAY CONTEST!!!!!

It is highly recommended for youth of ALL ages!

The essay should be about why YOU like to hunt or what YOU enjoy the most about hunting/the outdoors and if you think that you will still be hunting in 20 years from now.
This contest is open to ALL ages and it does not matter if you have hunted yet or have not harvested game yet. It can simply be about why you love being in the outdoors.

EVERY youth who submits an essay will recieve a prize.

To enter this Essay Contest all you have to do is e-mail your essay in a Word Document to:
[email protected]

There is no set deadline as of right now, but I will be posting the deadline in the upcoming week!

Enjoy and have fun thinking about why you love hunting, the outdoors, and how you will stay involved in your future!

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
Here is the first entry in the HPA Youth Essay Contest.It is submitted by Zanie Dodson

Zaine Dodson

4-14-10

THE GREAT OUTDOORS

What is it about the outdoors that draws sportsmen and women in, is it the smells, the sights, the sounds, or a combination of them all. For me it is definatly a combination of them all. I love being in Gods country. I love to hunt, fish and all things that have something to do with hunting or fishing. I love hunting camp exspecialy I love the food, I really love the food and I even love waking up early to head into the woods after the days quary. I will most definatly be hunting and fishing in 20 years if at all possible, I also plan on getting my brother into the woods wether it be with a bow in his hand and a arrow on his string and on the water with a bend in his rod.

I love everything about hunting and any type of hunting, I exspecially love bowhunting. I love getting up close and personal with my game, well I think I would like it anyway, I’ve only had one encounter with a doe during archery season and couldn’t make it happen. I have killed 2 deer with a rifle and a the Nuge says “it is the greatest high in the world.” My favorite game to pursue is most definatly squirrels I like that you get way more action and you can kill more than one a day. I recently started coyote hunting with my Uncle and his dogs, we have yet to get one but we are not gunna quit, I really like coyote hunting,, almost as much as squirrel hunting.

Hunting camp is glorious I go to go to deer and coyote camp at my Uncles cabin. My favorite thing about camp is the comrodery between its members I love how people can joke around with members young or old, my second favorite thing, and a close second it is, is the FFFOOODDD!!!!!!! No one can deny that some deer chili after a long day in the woods is the best it gets. I don’t know what it is, if it’s that you have been in the woods all day, or your looking forward to it, or what but, mmmmm I love it.

In the next 20 years I plan to go go to college, become a state cop, and hopfully if things go right move to Alaska when I retire, hunting all along the way. As I mentioned earlier I want to get my little broher in the woods and on the water. I just hope that there is still good hunting ground and the world improves a bit. Growing up in a fairly populus city Im sadly exposed to drugs and alchohol and I don’t want him to be exposed to them but unfortunatly I know he will be ,and I hope he makes the right decision as I have ,and he sticks to the sticks, and I’m going to do all I can to make sure that happens.

I hope you stay in the woods for the next 20 years and longer aswell. I also hope this essay helps make that decision even easier for you. I know it was an easy one for me, I love “THE GREAT OUTDOORS.”

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
That is a great start to this contest Zaine...impressive for sure

·
Registered
8,214 Posts
Very good essay, wish you the best of luck with your goals
in life and getting your brother involved in the outdoors!

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Very good essay Zanie, and goodluck this year hunting and fishing. Be safe!

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
Tristan Rees
4-22-10
What I Like About the Great Outdoors
The outdoors is full of great opportunities and experiences. There is hunting, fishing, and many more exiting activities.
What are the so called “woods?” The woods are classified as a large tract of land with trees and underbrush; woodland. Though in my opinion, it is much more than that. I like the smell of the outdoors. I like that fresh, coniferous, natural smell. I also like the wildlife like beautiful birds, deer, bear, and bobcats.
Fly-fishing is one of my hobbies. I feel like I am doing something productive, yet having fun with it. I love the adrenaline rush I get when a beautiful trout hits my fly. I like to catch all types of fish, but trout are my favorite to catch.
Hunting is another one of my hobbies. It’s not completely shooting the animal, but the beautiful trees, and wildlife. Though I do like the adrenaline rush I get when the rifle or shotgun goes off. I love hunting all types of animals, but my favorite is deer hunting and grouse.
Another thing I like to do is to camp in the outdoors. I don’t camp in a camper or a motor-home, but a tent. I love that campfire smell, and the fresh morning smell right when you step out of the tent.
The outdoors is full of adventures and great experiences. This is why I love the outdoors so much and will treasure it my whole life.

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
This essay was something i wrote for English class about a week ago, and thought it would fit well in the contest. Basically we had to take a saying and use research and a personal story to explain what the saying meant.

Hope every one enjoys it,
Patrick Reynolds

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sitting there, I awaited the rising sun to stretch its rays of light upon the autumn setting of the Pennsylvanian woods. Slowly the light creped its way through the deciduous forest passing the oaks, maples, and pines. This was my first time ever hunting. I was nervous yet amazed. My dad has been hunting most of his life, and he decided it was my turn. We constructed our hunting blind out of dead logs in the area the day before the hunt. I made sure to use the giant slab of bark from the nearby white oak as my backrest. My dad to my left, and my gun on my right, I was ready. We stalked our way up to the blind at 5:15. Legal shooting hours began at 6:00. Sitting in the woods, in the dark, gave me a completely new perspective of things. My senses became heightened, my breath is calm, yet the blood in my veins was pumping faster than a criminal on the run. I could hear every faint noise of the woods. A twig snaps to my right, a low grumbling grunt behind me, and the light rustle of dead leaves as the wind blows down through the valley plays a sweet melody to my ears. I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. You’re in their territory you have to play by their rules.
It’s not until the sun breaches over the mountain side until I recognized the true beauty of Michaux State Forest. Our blind was set upon jagged cliff overlooking the valley below. It enabled us to see anything and everything moving through the valley that morning. I had a connection with every aspect of the woods: The sunlight glaring off the dew soaked leaves, the chipmunks, the squirrels, the foxes, the soft sound of gunshots as they faded away into the land. We sat in that spot all day, but the only movement was from the hands on the watch. The sun slowly began its journey over the mountainside, casting shadows of trees that were miles long. There was no miracle ending to the hunt, just the view of the desolate woods that became darker and darker by the minute. The hunt ended after ten hours of sitting and not the slightest glimpse of a deer. In most hunters’ eyes that would be failure, but in my eyes it was life changing event.
Although we did not harvest a deer, that day changed the course of my life. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, where I wanted to be, and what I wanted to do from that point on. All I needed was a little push from my dad. I went from a boy who was just living to a boy with a purpose. That day in the woods made me realize what I wanted in life, and it inspired me to strive for it. I broke away from the stereotypical views of the modern day teenager. I created my own trail to travel. Instead of going to the mall, I go fishing with a few friends, instead of going to see the latest movie I would rather go see the pictures my trail cameras captured the night before. I walk the path of my own creation. What happens if you follow instead of lead? What happens if you don’t create your own trail? You are forgotten. You are lost in society with no memories to leave behind. Jack Kerouac once said, “great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”
Timothy Treadwell, a naturalist, created a documentary of his 13 expeditions to the thick wilderness of Katmai National Park in Alaska. Treadwell stayed in an area he named the “bear maze” because it was dense like the Amazon Rainforest and a favorite traveling route for the bears. During those 13 seasons in the bear maze he lived with the Grizzly bears, understood the bears, and protected the bears from poaching. He had a relationship with the Grizzly bears that was not understood by others. Treadwell expressed his love for the bears when he said, “I will die for these animals, I will die for these animals, I will die for these animals” (Grizzly Man). He believed in time, that the bears would begin to trust him and that he could study them at close range. He was able to accomplish just that without harm to him or the bears until his last trip. Timothy Treadwell was fatally attacked on his 13th season in the national park, but his life-long passion will forever live in the documentary Grizzly Man Diaries.
To walk your own trail is to find your purpose in this world, to make a name for yourself. Timothy Treadwell and I both have something in common. We have made our mark in this world. Treadwell used to be seen as “young man constantly seeking some form of recognition, but now he has earned his name” (Rogers). Now he is remembered as the grizzly man who dedicated his life to the bears, the man who died doing what he loved most. To this day you can return to Michaux State Forest and find my seat where I sat on my first day of hunting. The beginning of my future remains perfectly preserved. We have set foot on land that no other human being has. Generations of the future will remember us by the footprints we leave behind.

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
Hunting has become one of my favorite sports. I like hunting because it is a great chance to get outside and enjoy the outdoors. Hunting is also great because it teaches lots of great lessons like being awake, ready, and being prepared. Hunting also takes a lot of responsibility, like handling a gun, knowing and following the laws, and having outdoor skills. But, the greatest reason I love hunting is because I get to spend lots of time with my dad weather it is at the camp or out hunting, we still have great time, even when we don’t get anything. We have seen lots of wildlife together, which is very fun.
I hope that I am still hunting in 20 years. I’m only 10 right now but I will defiantly do my best and stick with it so I am still hunting 20 years from now. The many memories I have had will keep me doing my best like getting myself up and packed so I can go hunting. I also think that PA is much better than NY because they understand and let kids shoot under the youth programs. I think it is too bad so many kids do not get to experience the things I have. These are the many reasons I love hunting and I will stick with it and be hunting in the future.

by Hunter 10 yrs.old

·
Registered
28,459 Posts
These are INCREDIBLE...I have goosbumps from reading them becuase they cut to the core of what hunting means , this is the stuff that makes you feel SO GOOD about the future of hunting, no wonder I like hunting with kids so much, these attitudes are incredible.

Glad to see they are starting to roll in a bit...KEEP THEM COMING YOUNG HUNTERS!!! This thread is going to mean more that just about any one that has been posted in years.

Your enthusiam towards hunting makes us (old timers) step it up a notch. THANK YOU and I wish all of you the very best in your years and years ahead of doing what you love! Gotta be some real proud Parents out there.

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
Chris Baxter
Hunting
May 1, 2010
The Great Outdoors
The grunt of a mighty buck, the gobble of a boss tom, and the splash of that big bass. These sounds paint three great pictures in the mind of this young outdoorsman. The sounds of wildlife are not the only things that mean the most to me, however. The memories afield will last a life time. The experiences one has in the outdoors are what they get out of it. I am a very accomplished outdoorsman and these things are most important to me in nature.
A successful hunt could be the start of a future full of dreams and memories. Whether you are a mentor hunter, or young fisherman these times afield are the most important. I was introduced to fishing at a very young age by my grandfather, a very avid fisherman. I remember fond moments of trips we would take to North Washington together, having such great bonding experiences. I was not as intrigued with it as I wish I were, but just being with him is what meant the most to me. Whether we were slamming big bass or catching sunfish and bluegills, we enjoyed our time together. At a young age, my dad introduced me to the .22 rifle. Going to the local gun club shooting guns is one of my favorite past times. I started out at a young age and let me tell you, they don’t call me “eagle eye” for nothing. When I was old enough, I took my hunter’s safety course and was able to hunt that year at the age of 12. It was now time to step up to the high powered rifles, and I quickly fell in love with them. My first season hunting, I chose my grandfathers (gave to my dad for his 30th birthday) model 71 Winchester .348. Such a powerful gun but the thought of using a gun that my grandpa harvested deer with so many years ago, really hit home with me and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. I harvested my first deer the first Saturday of rifle season that year with that gun, being a perfect tall fork horn four pointer. That was such a proud moment for me, and especially my dad and grandpa. That is a cherished moment I will have for the rest of my life, and I was so happy to share that with my grandpa. I was fortunate to harvest a nice doe on the last Saturday that year, as well with that beautiful gun. I often reflect back on that season, and it more often than not comes up in our conversations when visiting too.
Mehhh….. thwap! Some of my best memories afield end up with that, it’s like music to my ears. The more opportunities that people have in the outdoors, the more opportunities there are to be successful, and/or have a great story to tell to friends or family for years to come. I have been very fortunate to have had so much time to spend in the woods. As stated earlier, my first year hunting was quite the success. I was able to share the harvest of my dad’s 8 point and two does that year, as well as my brother’s doe and other grandpa’s doe. Whether it is me, or the ones closest to me, being able to share in the harvest is the fondest time spent I believe. I have spent countless hours in the woods, harvest numerous does, and a buck every year, three of which were with a bow. I have had the pleasure of hunting with lots of family and friends, being successful on a lot of occasions and being able to share the success of others, as well. I consider myself a very avid hunter, putting countless hours in the tree during the season. I have been lucky enough to harvest my buck no later than the second Saturday of rifle, that of which being my first buck, which allows me the rest of rifle and muzzleloader to dedicate my time to help others, as well. Deer season is not my only dedication though. Over the past couple of years I have become serious about turkey hunting. I was lucky enough to call in a nice Jake last year on the last weekend of the season. On the very last day I was able to call in a Jake to my good friend as well to seal the deal in the last ten minutes of the last day. There’s nothing like that gobble of a bird in the spring or the grunt of that buck in the rut, I’m tellin’ ya!
You get what you put into it. It’s a simple statement that I believe very strongly about. You must look at the experience in the best way possible. Whether it’s a successful hunt or fish outing or not… it’s always a success. The time outdoors, in nature or on the water, can and should be some of the best experiences a person can have. God gave us the great outdoors for a reason. There is a lot of enjoyment that can come from it, whether it’s a shed hunting adventure in the spring, or a tree pruning day before archery season. I hear too often from friends that “oh this is dumb or that is dumb.” People like that don’t appreciate what is there in front of them. I’m just happy I’m able to enjoy it while it’s here and will until I cannot any longer.
There are a lot of aspects to the outdoors that hit home most to me. The outdoors to me is God’s country, so perfect in every way. You have to look at it in a positive way in order to get the most of it which I do every day. Successful outings can lead to great memories which will in return give the most fulfillments out of it. Nature can be good to you if you are good to it. Just have to enjoy every moment of it and make the most of out every situation. Help a child enjoy the outdoors like I do; you could have a hunting buddy that would last a lifetime. Someday I hope to teach my children about it and their children, too.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
There is some outstanding writing on this thread! Great entries by all! It definitely makes you feel good about the future of things to see these thoughts coming from young minds.

·
Administrator
14,273 Posts
Growing up in the heart of elk country has had a huge impact on my life. When I was little fishing and going on "elk rides" were my favorite things. I loved the outdoors and viewing nature. Being a girl, my Dad probably never thought I would be in to hunting, but I was.
    When I was 12 I set out on my first hunting experience for squirrel. I was not successful (and still never seem to be) but I fell in love anyway. I saw three deer that day and it was so awesome to be in the woods in their home and see them. A few months later at 8:00 A.M on the first day of deer season I harvested my first deer. It was an exhilarating experience. I think my Dad was more excited than I was; which I still find hard to believe. That nice five point will go down in my memory as my first animal harvested. Outside of deer hunting I have enjoyed pheasant hunts, turkey seasons, and small game. Three years have passed, and I haven't seemed to be too successful. Only a pheasant and a few squirrels The memories made in these seasons will be kept forever.
    I don't get out hunting much, since my Dad works away from home, but hunting gives us something fun to do while he is home. I usually am only able to go out about three days for deer season, four or five times for squirrel and lately, I haven't got out for turkey.
    Aside from hunting i enjoy lots of other outdoor activities. Fishing is another favorite of mine. I enjoy going with my dad, friends or even myself. Its great just getting out and seeing a different type of animal that lives in Pennsylvania. I also like to shoot trap. My high school offers a trap shooting league there are 4 teams in all that compete. We have about 6 matches a year. Its tons of fun to shoot trap and hang out with friends who enjoy the same thing you do. Even though I'm the only girl on our team, its still fun. I show up the boys a time or two! Since I will be starting to drive this summer my family bought another vehicle; a jeep. It’s proven to be a ton of fun. I enjoy just riding around aimlessly in the woods with my family. I have seen lots of cool things on my jeep rides, many different animals and scenery.
    I believe that being involved in the outdoors is the best thing a child can do. It teaches kids to respect nature and their surroundings and gives them an opportunity to make memories they will never forget with people they love. Even more important than getting youth involved in the outdoors is to get girls involved. I wish I had more girls to hunt or fish with and I hope in the future other girls will have this.
    In the future I hope to be able to raise my children in the outdoors and let them have the experiences I did while growing up. This summer I will turn sixteen so next year I look forward to being able to set out hunting by myself. Pennsylvania is a beautiful state with tons of opportunities for activities in the outdoors. I always tell my dad, it’s not about the kill it’s just about being outside in nature and making memories you won't ever forget!

by mary rosman

1 - 20 of 24 Posts