The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be having alot of ATV get togethers this summer for anyone that is interested... will be in the coal region here of Nortumberland and Schuylkill Counties.

I know bigben here and a few others offer their time and such to get guys togehter to go trail riding. I figure this would be a great idea coming from a different kind of rider perspective... from a different type of riding experience. For the all the crazy guys out there

Anyone who wants to climb the biggest coal banks and the biggest hillclimbs on the East Coast or come to watch will be welcomed... it's always a good time.

We don't take this stuff really seriously... we just like to ride and meet new people, and show them what our area has to offer.

I have a very nice group of guys that I climb with here, and all are always happy to have others join in on the day to climb with us or hang out and watch just how crazy we are.

Anyone who would be interested would be more than welcome to join in on the fun... I had a few rides last year where a few HPA memebers joined in, but we never actually advertised it on this site. Mainly because I wasn't here during last summer

I am sure those members will chime in sooner or later... they had a blast. Some did some climbging with us locals, others didn't. But all had a great time and are looking forward to their return

But it's never too early to start planning...

We ride every weekend usually come the beginning of June... but sometimes things pop up or some of us make camp trips or do some scouting for hunting season, etc. But we ride alot during the summer on the weekends, and all are invited to join in on the fun

But we can start planning dates as the summer gets closer.

If you have never seen it, or took part in this "coal bank climbing"... it would be a great experience for all. And a good time will be had, I can assure.

The two areas we would likely target for "fun for everybody" would be these two places below in the videos... very safe to ride, and parking would be available at my house as both are located within 5-10 minutes of riding to get there on the bikes. Possibly can cookout for lunch????

Either place we got is easy access, and not dangerous for those who do not want to climb. Can access both the tops or bottoms of these coal banks with any quad or bike you bring.

Who's in? Time to rip some hills up boys!!!

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Coal Climbing 2010

Here's some video from last year... I won't post all of it of course, just a little bit for you guys to get the idea of what we do.

Nobody has to climb these hills, but we do alot of different kinds of riding in some nice areas. We really hit the hills hard though

Below is what we call "Normans"... some nice climbs, more on the scale of fun hills that everybody likes to climb. And close to my house.

These videos are of my bike with me piloting of course...

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Below is also an area located close to my house, within riding distance that would take all but 5-10 minutes to get to on the trails...

We call this area the "Gap"...

These hills are a little bigger, and should be approached with caution. There are hills here of all sizes to climb, the videos below show the bigger ones. And the smaller hills are more on the scale of what is seen above.

Enjoy...

·
Registered
536 Posts

Be happy to join you with my bro. We are a bit old school but the steeper the better. We run 250R's and 350X's with a good dose of pixie dust applied to both. LEt me know when and where! We used to run Tower City, Joliette, and Black Diamond road before everything got closed up almost every weekend.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Good to see you interested... we will be running every weekend most of the summer, proably Saturdays if that works best for all of you guys.

We will plan dates a month in advance, maybe sooner...

It will be some good riding!!!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts

...and I thought I was crazy, good stuff Nuge! I'm gonna try and make it up for some rides this summer.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Pa Bird Man said:
...and I thought I was crazy, good stuff Nuge! I'm gonna try and make it up for some rides this summer.

The more the merrier my friend... will be looking forward to meeting you!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

you tell me when and where and I will make sure to be there with camera in hand. you know to tell the doctor what happened. nah just kiddin. I might do a few small ones but them big sob's you can run up. give me a date location and time and I will do my best to make it.

and pa bird man. you are crazy.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Good to hear Ben... you'll have so much fun, you won't want to leave. Literally, I think the guys that did the filming had the most fun out of anyone on our rides... they get to laugh at everyone that doesn't make the hills, and the ones who do stupid stuff.

You'll see what I mean by that... we have a funny group of riders, I'll tell ya.

We can plan it as it gets closer... I am betting the second weekend of June all the way straight through August we will be hitting the hills every saturday.

Usually meet at my place... at go from there. Usually around 9am, and we ride as long as everyone wants...

I need Sundays to do my deer hunting related activities

·
Registered
3,448 Posts

Sounds like a good time. My buddy and I would be in one weekend. I have a 2008 yamaha raptor 700r and he has a 2008 yamaha grizzly 700fi. We ride alot outside of tamaqua out rt. 209 in the st. clair area. Is that anywhere near you nuge?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Yes it is... about 15-20 minutes from here. I hit those hills often with the guys

The big climb behind the wal-mart in St. Clair is one of my favorites, however, it's not like it used to be. Got alot smaller over the last 3-4 years, or my bike just got stronger

·
Registered
2,144 Posts

Since I was your hill climbing photographer for that day, I will post some photos of my riding adventures with you.
maybe Friday.

My Suzuki 750 King won't do those vertical climbs but it certainly winched up that broken bike that day!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts

bigben said:
and pa bird man. you are crazy.
Then what is Nuge???
Becuase some of that stuff makes my antics look like babies play

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

he's insane. I know personally that the video camera takes alot out of what something actually is. so those hills might not look too bad on film but in person I know they are intimidating. normally if you freeze on one you end up bad.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Here are a few of my still photos from that hill climbing day last summer.

Don't know who this guy was.... but I think I met Rod Stewart in person..

One of the riders....

Think we all know who this one is

Some of the hill climbing gang

Since I can't climb vertical hills... I put my King's winch to the test.. We had about 75' of winch cable and tow straps out for this pull up the hill.

They do it on 2 wheels too.

Personally... I just enjoyed the view!

Me... and my new King Quad

1 - 20 of 157 Posts