The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new to me boat. Living in meadville in northwest PA we have a mix of 9.9 lakes, 20hp lakes and ten obviously have Erie within an hour. I can't decided what I want to look for boat wise. I'm wanting more of a multispieces boat. I have looked at some 2019 basic Lund tiller boats with a 20hp such as the Lund fury 1600. Then I started think about buying a used boat with a larger motor and kicker motor. I keep going back and fourth between what I want and what lakes I will be fishing the most. So what is everyone else running out there? Any insight would be great. Also my max budget would be 15k

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I am in the market for a new to me boat. Living in meadville in northwest PA we have a mix of 9.9 lakes, 20hp lakes and ten obviously have Erie within an hour. I can't decided what I want to look for boat wise. I'm wanting more of a multispieces boat. I have looked at some 2019 basic Lund tiller boats with a 20hp such as the Lund fury 1600. Then I started think about buying a used boat with a larger motor and kicker motor. I keep going back and fourth between what I want and what lakes I will be fishing the most. So what is everyone else running out there? Any insight would be great. Also my max budget would be 15k
You can get a bigger engine and have it on the boat so long as it is tilted up and not being used is a lake with a less HP rule. You can either hang a snaller engine that would be in compliance on a motor board or get good electric motor to use.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Lund 1625 Classic with a 18hp Tohatsu 4 stroke. I am always mixed wherever I am as to whether engine size is perfect or too small. I really am at a point at this time where I spend more time at electric motor only lakes and unlimited areas.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Living near Meadville is a great location for the fisherman, there are many waters to choose from, Pymy to the north, Wilhelm to the south and Woodcock in your back yard. There is French Creek, the Allegheny isn`t far, down in Franklin and Shenango to the east and even Conneautte Lake if you can stand the big power boats. It all depends on what species of fish you are going after? I myself would prefer a 15 to 17 foot bass type boat with a 20 HP short shaft motor, that would cover you for most all the surrounding lakes and streams and a electric motor is a must as well.. I have a camp along French Creek near Cochranton, so I fish it a lot, So I have a9.9 Merc and a 15ft Myers aluminum boat because it can take a little more punishment on the rocks than a Fiberglass boat can. Good luck in finding the right boat for your needs

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Welcome to NW PA!!!!!!!!!

Yup, aint it cool? :smile_big:. As a guy that fishes from a canoe and does not need the wakes high powered boats leave, I'm glad I have so much water to fish with out the noise and heavy wakes form fast boats. I stay off the Shenango reservoir and keep to the no gas motor side of Wilhelm. Pymy can get real rough real fast for canoes so I stay in 41 bay and a few other quiet spots when I head over there.

Reactions: SlickShot

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
BP did you notice that Tamarack lake is filling in? Wife and I drove by today and the work on the new dam seems done. And there is more water than before. I'm told it will take quite a while to fill in but we could be fishing there again by 2021 or so depending on how they stock it. For me at least I can take the canoe out for an evening paddle by Oct. of so.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I hang a 9.8 outboard on my boat when using a HP restricted lake near me. Also use it when ice starts flowing on the river and the jet isn't up to the task. It doesn't get me anywhere fast, but it opens up some opportunities I wouldn't have without it.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I made the mistake of buying a 15 ft Carolina Skiff with a 20 hp fourstroke Mercury on it, both brand new. Took over 100yds to get the boat on plane, if I was the only one on board. With my wife on board, could not get on plane.

Solved it by having a 30hp Etec installed, and it "jumps" on plane, no matter who's on board with me. New problem is I only use it on the Delaware River now. If I could go back, here would be the plan.

Get an aluminum boat of about 14' or 15' with a 2 cyl outboard, of about 18>20hp. That keeps the ability to plane, enough room to fish, and the 2 cyl has more ooomph to get it on plane quickly. Used to have a 15' Dura just as I just described, and wish I never sold it.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
You can get a bigger engine and have it on the boat so long as it is tilted up and not being used is a lake with a less HP rule. You can either hang a snaller engine that would be in compliance on a motor board or get good electric motor to use.

..yep...when i was in the bass fishing game we would have about 3 tournys a year in HP restricted lakes...Tamarak...Pymy and somewhere else..

literally 8 hours on a trolling motor buzzing around in a 20' bassboat with a 200HP isn't fun.

PFBC changed PYMY restictions to 20 I believe around that time

·
Registered
152 Posts
Running a 17 ft deep v multi species boat. Its pushed with a 90 and a 20 kicker that is tied into the steering.
Its nice we can get on restricted lakes, but it is a pain in the butt in every other way.

When we are trolling open water with the 20 its great.. trying to steer and load a boat on a trailer is awful with the 20.. in windy or crowded conditions I have got to the point where I just use the winch and or rope to trailer the boat.

Long story short if you are going to use a bigger motor more often, I would say go for it.. its nice to have the option of smaller lakes. If not, do not waste your time.

·
Premium Member
24,301 Posts
I have a Lund SSV-16 with tiller 25 HP. Many guides favor this Lund for lake fishing. Very durable/versatile rig for many types of fishing. I have used on river and now mostly backwater bay areas. Had a 25 2-cycle Johnson for 18 years & just bought a new 4-cycle Zuke. Rated to 40 HP but found a 25 is plenty. My guess a 20 HP on a restricted lake would do the job too. A very low maintenance fishing rig.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts