The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a Hoyt Turbohawk. Does anyone know why they are $250 less than the Alphamax?
A guy at work claims it is because it has a cast magnesium riser and for that reason he would not purchase one.
Are cast magnesium risers that bad?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah I would like to know also....it is on my list to shoot

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the cast riser. Hoyt dropped their reflex line in 08 and decided to market bows with the Hoyt name at an entry level price point. The came up with the Hawk series .....power hawk (ZR limbs) and the super hawk (laminate limbs) both built on a reflex growler riser. Since they were a success they played with the XTR limbs and cams from the alphamax 32 on the same reflex growler riser and came up with the turbo hawk. The alpha max's machined riser is stronger than the cast riser on the turbo hawk but both are plenty strong for normal bow applications. I was surprized when they released the turbohawk. It is too similar to the AM32 (it is a hair lighter, and 1fps slower IBO, with the same draw cycle) for the price difference. I would think that bow had to hurt the sales on the AM32.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have a hoyte with a cast aluminum riser. Mine is a 5-6 year old Magnatech. It was the first year for the cam&1/2 wheels. The only difference I could feel was the machined riser was a bit lighter in weight and cost a whole lot more. I think it was the following year the reflex line took the name of my bow. It is a really good shooting bow.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am currently shooting a Hoyt Powerhawk and it seems to be a great bow for the price. I was told the difference between the powerhawk and superhawk were the cams.The only difference noticible to me between these and the turbohawk is that the turbohawk was shorter axle to axle. Nontheless these "cheaper" hoyts are not bad bows at all

·
Registered
12 Posts
A machined aluminum riser is a solid piece of machined aluminum, and offers a very wide and deep sight window. This is great and give you complete center shot.

Old cast risers used to not give you true center shot, so when you shot the bow at center shot you would often get vane contact on the riser. That was a bad thing.

However, Hoyt (on their Hawk Series) actually uses a cast riser, and then machines it. This gives you a good wide window.

The difference between the two is very little. Just like everything in archery, you pay a large amount of money for a little lighter, a little faster, a little quieter bow. Is new 2010 Maxxis 31 worth the approx. $200 more? Depends on your financial situation and your desire to have the best. Does one make you shoot any better? Probably not.

Go to your local Hoyt dealer, shoot both, and see what seems to be the best for you. They are both great bows.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
hoyt24 said:
I am currently shooting a Hoyt Powerhawk and it seems to be a great bow for the price. I was told the difference between the powerhawk and superhawk were the cams.The only difference noticible to me between these and the turbohawk is that the turbohawk was shorter axle to axle. Nontheless these "cheaper" hoyts are not bad bows at all
The difference between the powerhawk and superhawk is the limbs. They both use the M4 cam system and the same riser but the powerhawk has ZR series solid limbs where the superhawk uses laminate limbs. The turbohawk uses different cams and limbs than the other 2. They are the XTR series laminate limbs and cams that are used on the alphamax 32. Although the riser is exactly the same the ATA is shorter due to the length of the limbs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have a Turbohawk. I shot both the Alphamax and the turbohawk extensively before I made the decision to buy. In my hands I could not feel any difference between the two. Maybe the Alpha was a tad lighter but overall could not justify the increased cost of the Alpha. I have had the Turbo for about 8 months and have no regrets. It is one sweet bow. Ultimately it has to feel good in your hands. believe me if the Alpha "felt" better, I would have spent the money.
Just for comparison. I shot the Reezen after reading a lot about the bow, I have to say that was the worst feeling bow I had in my hands of all that I shot. Just goes to show everyones preference is different.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I HAVE BEEN CURIOUS ABOUT THIS BOW AS A BACKUP. I HAD SOMEONE TELL ME THE SPEED RATING FOR THE ALPHAMAX IS TRUE AS ADVERTISED. I WONDER IF THE SAME IS TRUE FOR THE TURBOHAWK.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
WACKUMANDSTACKUM said:
I HAVE BEEN CURIOUS ABOUT THIS BOW AS A BACKUP. I HAD SOMEONE TELL ME THE SPEED RATING FOR THE ALPHAMAX IS TRUE AS ADVERTISED. I WONDER IF THE SAME IS TRUE FOR THE TURBOHAWK.
You should have no trouble getting a turbohawk to shoot the advertised IBO speeds. One thing I have always liked about Hoyt is that they are conservative in their advertised IBO speed. I have never had a hoyt that wouldn't shoot as advertised and I've had a bunch (have 8 right now). In many cases they shoot faster than advertised.

·
Registered
502 Posts
sendero said:
WACKUMANDSTACKUM said:
You should have no trouble getting a turbohawk to shoot the advertised IBO speeds. One thing I have always liked about Hoyt is that they are conservative in their advertised IBO speed. I have never had a hoyt that wouldn't shoot as advertised and I've had a bunch (have 8 right now). In many cases they shoot faster than advertised.
+1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts