The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's always many opinions when it comes time to what shotgun to buy, add in that Waterfowlers mistreat there guns more than any other hunters out there.
So, how's your shotgun holding up so far this season?
Has your semi auto failed to eject or feed any shells?
Can you still work your pump gun reliably?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Goosehunter, I bought a Remington 1187 Super Mag as soon as it was available (many years ago).
Have never had any problems with it. Just perform sensible cleaning.

Don

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
SBEII has been halfway across the country west, north to ME, east to the Atlantic, submerged in salt water, caked with mud, exposed to endless salt spray and even used by my brother which we all know is worse than all of the above....torn down 3 times and cleaned....never a problem.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My SBE II has had about 4,500 rounds through it with only one missfeed and that was my fault. My 835's have probably had a collective 10,000 rounds through them without a hiccup either.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I don't kill as many birds as alot of you guys, but my SX2 has been with me for almost a dozen years. I also hunt small game, and do a little trap/sporting clays with it. It won't cycle some of the cheaper low brass loads, but other than that, it still does the job.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I shoot a W&C Scott 10 bore. Its 100 yrs. old , its been used in a sneakbox in alay out blind most often in salt water. It still looks like it did when left London. It never let me down.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
My SBE 2 goes boom, boom, boom every time. Unfortunately,mi usually don't have anything to show for it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My SBEII has been doing well for several years now. A little slow to feed sometimes when it is cold, but no misfeeds, jams or anything of the like, and it takes a pretty good beating.

I have been thinking about trying to find a Browning Cynergy over/under in camo for the heck of it. Just something different, that 3rd shot is probably more of a waste than anything!

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I bought my 870 Express on 8/22/88.
I have used it every season since then,it`s been to Md and NJ a few times for sea duck ,goose hunts.
it`s been underwater more than once, still looks new except for a few marks on the wood.
it also gets used for sporting clays now & again.
works perfectly

·
20,167 Posts
15 year old 870 ultra mag is still purring like a kitten even after the barrel end blow off 2 years back. New barrel, back in action like it never happened. Also have a 2 year of Ultra mag that's been going well. Outside of some human error short cycle pumping jambs on vertical shots it's been a good gun. This year I'm shooting a brand new Browning Maxus which has cycled perfeft to date but my confidence in that gun is a little 'off' due to a soft hammer that left me hanging with a click once. All it takes is one issue for me to question my gun and an unexplained click did it. No issues since but I'm only about 12 rounds past that instance so we'll see. The round fired fine when I put it back in and test fired it.

So it looks like I'm the only one with guns that are not perfect lol.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I hunt a couple different guns. Mostly 2 different 870s that I have had to rebuild from different guns. They have seen better days. Normally still go boom. I normally given them a light cleaning after hunting and a full cleaning a couple times a season. I figure theyre hunting guns so they arent going to look the prettiest. I have a had a couple wads become stuck in the barrel over the years. Only problem I run into once in a while and cant figure out why my main 870 does it, is eject a live round with out firing the shell when I am shooting.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
My Sbe 2 had cycling issues until I replaced the spring. Since its been flawless.

·
Registered
723 Posts
In the early season I use my dad's Rem. 1100-- which I inherited from him . I've never had any issues with it. Later in the season I switch to my BPS 10 gauge . Only problem I have is remembering to pump after using the 1100.

·
Registered
780 Posts
In 1982 I purchased a 26" X 3" Browning Citori which my son and I have shared for trap, skeet, sporting clays and waterfowl.
I assume 10,000 rounds have gone down those tubes and it's still tight in the lock-up and dropping game and busting clay. I've gone through a couple houses, many cars, trucks and SUV's since then..........WOW what a purchase!!

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I'm two seasons in with my Franchi I-12 and I love it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have an sx3 and love it.. I think the Maxxus is very similar and I had some similar issues with my gun.. The back of the receiver gets a lot of grime and the bolt does t close completely causing it to click.. Do some searching on cleaning the recoil spring.. Kinda tricky to get out but it seems to be the culprit

·
Registered
509 Posts
Every year I plan on getting an expensive gun like SBEII, but never do because I feel I shoot good enough with the ones I have. I have hunted several times with a friend's SBEII and do believe they are worth the money. I started duck hunting with a Benelli Super Nova pump and never had any problems with it from my first shot to this season. I don't know of too many problems on a pump gun really. I have a Stoeger M3000 that I usually take out that I got at Dick's for $299 after the season a few years ago. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I clean it every time I go sea duck hunting or it is pouring. Being a "K-Mart Benelli" I don't expect it to be a great gun forever, but it has been a pleasant surprise so far.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts