The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
They had Strite's Orchard on 27 news today. They said at this time last year they had baskets of red tomatoes. Not this year. That entire month of cloudy rainy weather set everything back. I got a handful of Fourth-of July, and Early Girls are starting now. Latest ever for me.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
My plants are looking like bushes at the moment and are loaded w/green ones right at the moment. When they ripen I am going to be over run with them.

·
Registered
12,166 Posts
Tomatoes are still green and growing larger every day. I had my plant (just one this year) in the ground pretty early. Lots of leaves and blossoms. Hot peppers are doing very well. I don't eat these, just have them there to discourage rabbits and groundhogs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Doing well here no red ones yet just a pink cherry tomatoe. Lost one plant to the brown spots, overall pretty good year just have to water every night.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Everything seems very late this year. No one is this area (farm stands) has sweet corn yet. The folks around here are often beginning their picking the first week of July. A farmer down the road who normally has a pretty good business for corn hasn't had any ripe to sell yet. Guess when it hits, the market will be overloaded.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Coming on strong now. Lots of Fourth-of July and Early Girls. Late season (Delicious) are starting to turn now. Plants are over 6' tall. Toasted tomato and cheese, tacos, ummmmm.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It's a fruit,you should prune your tomatoe plant to get larger tomatoes so the deer can pick the largest ones to nibble on,i don't mind a few a week not 3 or 4 a night so i put out the coyote decoy with some coyote scent on it with the trail cam nothing but something took down 12 corn stocks and ate all the ears of corn.I can bet money it was those muslim raccoons,now the war starts.

·
Registered
593 Posts
They look good,still green. One fell over today, and smashed cucumber bush. Had one fall over the other week. I will not use cages next year, I don't know why I still bother with them.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I just picked 4 amish paste and 2 pineapple tomato's, so far the amish paste are bigger than i ever had them, I left my plants go wild this year with no cages, but mulched very think underneath with cereal rye straw, and they are a jungle of their own, and very loaded, i will have lots of sauce this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts