The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That time of year again....Got beans, cukes and zukes started in peat pots. Lettuce, peas, swiss chard and spinach coming up. Planted 6 mater plants in pots trying to avoid blight. Two flats of peppers waiting to go in. I hope this heavy rain and hail they are calling for doesn't hurt the plants! Calling for frost Sunday and Monday night!!!!

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I put my garden in on April 29th. Tomatoes, Peppers, Cukes, and Zukes. Tomatoes and Peppers have doubled in size and the Cukes and Zukes just broke ground from seed. I'll be covering them Sunday and Monday night. But I'm off to my earliest start ever.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Got some peas, cauliflower, leaf lettuce, and broccoli that are doing good. Carrots are not. Nothing first planting, about 20% on second planting. Just got the sunflowers out of the ground. Planted tomatoes last weekend, definitely covering for the frost watch. Still waiting to plant green beans.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
No garden yet and it's a good thing, we have frost here this morning. Rule of the thumb in Somerset County, don't plant until Memorial weekend.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Entire Western PA has frost. Most of PA probably the same if I ventured a guess. Wife had to cover all her flowers. Told her she was way too early with them.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COLD morning and supposed to be even colder tonight!!!! Glad I waited to plant my peppers. I covered my mater plants that I have planted in 5 gal. buckets!

·
Banned
851 Posts
Doing pretty well so far. Harvested some radishes and spring onions yesterday. Beets, carrots, celery, rhubarb, parsnips, peas, brussel sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, and tomatoes are all doing well. The majority of the tomatoes I started have blossoms on already! Can't wait to put in the rest of the stuff!

I'm glad I covered up the damaters last night, kind of a pain though.

Hope nobody's plants got ruined by the frost.

PA Waterfowler

·
Administrator
39,045 Posts
LONG BEARD 101 said:
COLD morning and supposed to be even colder tonight!!!! Glad I waited to plant my peppers. I covered my mater plants that I have planted in 5 gal. buckets!
Same Keith!Covered mine also, and will do the same tonight.

·
20,127 Posts
Ya in was going to plant last week but hit the brakes hard over the weekend. Instead I'll be in scramble mode today to cover the blueberry bushes and fruit trees. Planting Wednesday

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
We had Frost here in Bethlehem this morning. Not unheard of this time of year around hear, but not typical. The last time I looked it up I believe May 15th was the official last frost date, with low likely hood of frost after May 4th.

Sure glad I had a wedding on Saturday, otherwise I'd have planted my tomatoes and peppers.

Hope you all got covered up in time!

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hard frost here!!!! Everything was covered and the flats waiting to be planted are in the garage till I get home from work!

·
20,127 Posts
GREEN LIGHT!!!! Light Frost at my place last night and that is a wrap for the year I'm confident. Actually burned the wood stove hot and heavy last night into this AM and the house was nice and cozy. It was like winters final gasp before yielding to Spring and Summer. I suppose I'll get to planting on Wednedsay then.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Heavy frost here in northern Chester county. The strawberries and lettuce got covered, everything else hasn't been planted yet, hoping to get everything in before Friday. Want to add about 30 more strawberries to the patch we started this year!

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
20 degrees warmer this morning than it was yesterday morning. Too late for the fruit trees though, looks like fruitless trees for the second year in a row.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Didnt start yet. This week into the weekend. Made the mistake last yr of starting to early.

·
Registered
16,468 Posts
Well my maters got fried, they were even covered.......
Why's come do you guys jump the gun ? You're like my wofe with the Flower's too early. Nothing grows until the days get hot and the nights get real warm and humid anyways. Just cause the stores put the plants out for sale, don't mean ma nature is ready for ya.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I planted them in 5 gallon buckets! I carried half the buckets into the garage and the other half I covered. Should have put them all in the garage or barn!

1 - 20 of 208 Posts