The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your pics, progress and questions here!!!!

Hopefully it's a good year for the veggies.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Will it ever stop raining??????? I have everything ready to go. I don't dare step in the garden with out hip boots on!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will it ever stop raining??????? I have everything ready to go. I don't dare step in the garden with out hip boots on!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I got 23 tomato plants in Saturday, have around 30 to go. My raddishes will probably be picked by the weekend and my beets, peas, onions, garlic, lettuce and cabbage are doing well. I stopped picking aspharagus a week ago. I have 100 pepper plants waiting, not sure how many I'll put in. Still need to get in carrots, beans, zukes, cucumbers

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 36 pepper plants, 18 tomato plants ready to go.

Started 24 cukes and zukes for a staggered harvest they are about 2" tall, will plant more in a few weeks. Also started brocolli, colliflower and swiss chard that is up about the same.

Got 48 bush bean plants up and as soon as the dirt is workable, will put in 48 more.

The row of parsley came back up and looks real good. Just gotta keep the woodchucks away!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I had it the garden all ready last week and dang it...all this rain turned it to mud. It was turned over so nice.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Got mine turned over last Wed. Planted yesterday. If this rain keeps up it will set the stage for another year of tomato blight.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Finished expanding our garden to triple the size from last year today, and all on a rare day off. This is only year #2 here and the soil needs some composting work but this was a big step. Donned the rain gear this AM (skipped turkey hunting) and got the fence up and raked up all the mud and rocks from the edges.

Even got the foot high grass mowed during the lull from the rain in the afternoon.

The buggy is my next door uncle's and man has it helped get stuff done around the house- will somehow have my own in the next year or so to move wood and expedite yard work/ hauling. Some plants were already in and have lots more to plant in the next couple weeks. Can't wait for the watermelons again!!

·
Registered
1,296 Posts

This is my bag garden. The soil is rocky with a few more rocks thrown in. I put down 6" mulch than bags of top soil, the top soil still in the bags with drain holes cut in the underside. More mulch to even up the area and support the bags with the panels removed. Tomatoes, beans, matermelon, cucumbers, peas, and other things.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I like how you added a potted flower too, in the garden. Should help with the pollination.

A lot of people in the Washington, DC area are doing their gardens this except they are skipping the mulch: taking a bag of top soil, slicing the one side, flipping over the bag and then planting tomatoes, peppers, melons, etc.
What's interesting is they are doing this on their front lawns.

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the prices of everything going wayyyyyyyyyy up. Can't say I blame them.

The bag thing is interesting. How good of a root system do those plants get?

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
And chemicals! I heard this morning on the news that China had 150 A. field of watermelons bursting because they over dosed the plants with growth hormones.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Cool idea with mulch! A relative used to dig holes, line with a trashcan and insert potted shrubs so he could change the look without digging up shrubs in front of house. Keep garden pics coming, Ill try to add some too.

·
Registered
6,032 Posts
With a break in the rain, I finally got the rest of my plants in today. I put a thin layer of mulch overtop of the seeds I just planted, so hopefully they don't have any trouble coming through. I guess I'll find out in a week or so!

·
Super Moderator
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my tomatos and peppers in. Still wet, but had to get them in. Going to finish the garden this weekend. I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I was able to get that last of my seeds in last week and currently almost everything I had previously planted is up. In my first attempt at potatoes 13 of 14 planted have popped through so I'm pretty happy about that. Tomatoes and peas are really taking off. Should be a good garden this year!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Got everything in the ground, finally but I am losing my cucumber sets one by one. I am going to dig up the dead ones today to see if I have an insect or worm problem and replant.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts