The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 237 Posts

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I'd start the thread this year. How's everyone's garden so far. My garlic is between 5-10" tall, planted two varieties in early November, and my onions, red, white, yellow and sweet, are 2-3", planted about 2 weeks ago. I built a raised area in a wasted spot in the garden, lined it with flat stone about 14" deep, and along the sides, and planted horseradish. I put in radishes on Sunday and put in 17 crowns of aspharagus this evening. The cabbage, broccoli, and kohlrabi plants will be put in this week and the lettuce, beets and carrot seeds will also be put in. A few of my tomato and pepper plants already have blossoms/buds on them. I had to move my tomoatos (65 plants)to my sister in laws greenhouse because I ran out of room in the house. I have to replace two of the 30 blueberry bushes I put in last year because they did not make the winter and I am putting in another row of raspberries

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I got a late start this year since my son was born on 3/25 and the rain. I planted some brocoli, cauliflower,and the onion bulbs. I used seed packs for the leaf lettuce, spinach, radishes and carrots.

In early May I will add the tomato plants, peppers, cucumbers and swiss chard.

·
20,166 Posts
Mine is tilled and sitting. I am not risking any plantings before the end of May with how crazy and unpredictable this weather has been since Feb.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Spinach is 2" high. Sweet spanish onions I started from seed & transplanted are starting to catch. I put 2 rows of Yukon gold and 2 rows of red norland taters in last fri. Tomatoes, peppers, cabbages, sweet basil, etc. have been out on my deck table for a week or so now. Cabbages need to go in. Zuch, cuke and eggplant seeds are started. Sweet taters are sprouting slips.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Onions 4" tall, spinnach is about 1", snow peas just came up today and potatoes just got planted yesterday.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I'll probably till the 16th or 18th and have my first plantings in the ground the same day. I have some lettuce starting out in planters, but this hot weather has not been kind to it. I'm working on designing a strawberry pyramid which I hope to have done the week of the 19th and have my strawberrys in by the 24th.

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
I planted my tomatoes in the hot box last weekend. I'm keeping it very simple this year, tomatoes, corn, and peppers. Maybe a couple of other things.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
i tilled it under once and thats about it. my peppers are growing pretty good other than that just kinda waiting

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Planted my taters today. I never had a garden before cause my dad always did and I would help him a little. Since he is gone now I will have to do things myself. I wish I would of taken a little more interest in it for more than one reason.
My dad always said plant the taters on the 100th day or there abouts.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
I already tilled and now I'm just waiting for the last chance of frost, Have a bunch of seedlings in the sun room. I'm not sure when is a safe time to put them in. I have hot pepper, mixed variety pepper, roma tomatoes and big boy tomatoes. Also the Eggplant.

When is a safe time to plant them Eric?

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The cold weather plants are already in (cabbage, beets, lettuce, etc.). I don't plan on putting in my tomatos and peppers until at least the second-third week of May, depending on the weather forecast.

·
Super Moderator
23,763 Posts
hey buzzy do you have any pictures of your aspearagus beds, i'm getting ready to do mine this weekend

·
Registered
579 Posts
Sorry no. Digital camera on my like to get list. I have 2 rows with 15 plants each. 1 row is 18 years old. The other is 15. Before he gave up gardening my FIL said some of his still producing plants were 30 years old. I have 1 garden with just asparagus & strawberries in it. I call it my eternal garden. No planting needed.

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
My house's concert (Ram Jam) is May 1, and the stage is going to be right on top of where I plant my garden. Actually, I think it works out pretty well, all the disturbance for building and tearing down the stage should greatly reduce my need to till it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Got the parsley and Rosemary in today, have my tomatoe sets but I won't put them in till I think the threat of frost is over.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I picked some asparagus today and it should yield a good crop this year since the bed was planted 8 years ago. The onions have about 2" sprouts. The radishes, leaf lettuce and spinach are starting to take off. I will wait 2-4 weeks before the tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers go in.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Tilled, then dug a small trench and installed pressure treated boards around the perimeter of the garden. I'll reinstall my fence tonight. I planted snap and snow peas, carrots, lettuce, and turnips. I got my tomatoes, but I'm keeping them inside for another month.

1 - 20 of 237 Posts