The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys another year! Let's keep each other updated on the progress of our plants, good or bad!

Got 3/4 of mine in. Frost hit some of my tomato tops and a few beans. I took a chance and planted toooo early. Beans are about 12" tall, planted two more rows Monday. Brocolli is up, peas are flowering, radishes will be ready soon. Put in 36 green pepper plants and 8 yellow wax hot peppers. Cukes are up and the zukes are growing really fast. Still gotta plant corn, more beans and two more variaties of squash.

How's your garden doing?

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I helped my dad put in his garden 2 weeks ago. We put in 6 pepper plants and 3 tomatoes. We also put in the first patch of corn and two hills of zukes. Our strawberry patch is really taking off. We're picking an average of about 4-5lbs per day. I'll be starting some strawberry wine very shortly here.

I close on my house this week and already have a garden planned for the backyard. I should have the ground tilled and ready to plant within 2 weeks. Over the weekend I started some lettuce, cukes, and summer squash in pots. I also got 4 blueberry plants to put along my driveway. When I first started them I didn't think they were going to make it, but in the last week, they've really turned it around. As soon as my garden is ready to go I'll add tomatos, carrots, peas, and some corn. Can't wait to get the new one underway.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Just finished the second planting of sweetcorn last weekend
with a second planting of radishes & carrots between the rows zuks got bit by frost only one left so ill need to
throw a few more in , peppers , tomatos ,spinich , lettuce,radashes,beets.bush beans,carrots,cantalope,cukes.watermellon & sweet corn all dooin just wonderfull as are the weeds

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Tomatoes and peppers are in and are starting to take off. The beans, cukes, and watermelons are just coming up. Peas are about two feet high and growing. The onions are looking good. Hope to get my sweetcorn in this weekend if it's not too wet.

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
just takin a break from putting in the TATERS
,got 10# i'm putting in.that'll be all i do today cause i gotta mow too

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Got most of my garden in yellow and white onions,lettuce and radishis and two dozen green peppers two dozen tomatoes big boys and celeberties and a dozen of hung simi hot yellow peppers and six egg plants and zucs and cucs and green beans and six rows of corn...by the way where the Hec... do all the rabbits come from when you plant they just seem to appear. Got a new tiller with reversable rear tine and boy does it do a nice job. Got spared from the frost week or go but covered my early corn. Hope all will have a great year

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
heres the fence we put up sunday to keep Winchester out, need a little rain

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the corn in Sunday. Still need to plant some cabbage, oregano, parsley and two more rows of beans. Oh almost forgot, planted some sunflowers for the bird feeders this winter. Tomatoes and peppers are doing very well. Peas have a ton of flowers.

·
Registered
9,145 Posts
Got in some yellow and silver sweet corn, onions, green beans and lettuce last night. I need to get some green pepper, broccoli, zuke, cuke, and pumpkin plants yet.

Not going overboard on much this year as my blanched beans are like mush and not overly palatable after they come out of the freezer. Hopefully the corn does well as that should keep better.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Everythings in except darn sweet potatoes. I have 4 potatoes in water and the slips are finally coming out good on them. Red and yellow potatoes are waist high and falling over on the hills. Some cabbages are big as softballs. Sparrows won't leave the sugar peas alone so I hung Navy shot line above them, with strips of tin foil on it. Green tomatoes on the 4th of July and Early Girls.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Everything is going well so far. The only problem was my beans. I planted two rows a few weeks back and only 7 sprouted so they got replanted on Saturday. Here's what it looks like so far. This garden has the cabbage, broccoli, oak leaf lettuce, head lettuce and candy onions. The weed part in the back is where the pumpkins will go.

Here's the potatoes. I dug trenches about 8 inches deep and filled them in half way. When they grew, I filled the other 4 inches in. They could probably use mounded again.

Here's the main garden with the tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, beets, beans, carrots, radishes, mint, rhubarb, zuchini, and strawberries.

Here's the section I added to the main garden this year for onions and garlic

The strawberries are doing well this year and we are picking every evening.

And finally, the two new swarms of bees I got this year (two boxes on the left) are also doing well

·
Super Moderator
23,758 Posts
LOOKS GREAT your way ahead of me

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Yeah, I posted some a while back. The smaller building has 6 hens and a rooster. The bigger one houses my wife's two pygme goats. If you notice in the picture with the lettuce and beets, the plants are much taller in the back. When I cleaned out the chickens over the fall/winter, I threw their poop in the garden. Most of it was concentrated in the back, which is resulting in bigger plants. Looks like I will have to make sure it gets spread out better this year. This is the first year that I started the tomatoes and peppers from seed and i'm happy so far.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
thats impressive Glock! I would be ashamed to post pics of mine. I am having trouble with my green beans sprouting as well

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
NICE garden glock!!!! I got all my plants fertilzed last night before the rains. Our ducks followed me into the garden and I caught them trying to eat everything in site. I chased them out threatening them as dinner dressed with all the veggies!!! They got the picture, I think...

·
Super Moderator
6,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The corn is all up, second planting of zukes and cukes are up also. Got another row of beans planted. Picked my radishes over the weekend, got a good crop.

Put in some cabbage and more brocolli over the weekend. Everything seems to be doing excellent. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the deer, rabbits and woodchucks stay clear.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts