The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small piece of land just under 5 acres where I live its really only huntable in the one corner...I have two neighbors currently who border this corner of my property.

Neighbor 1, who had a house and 2 acres there when I moved in 5 years ago, asked if I would mind if he put a ladder stand there for the first day or two of rifle season which is pretty much all he hunts. I told him no problem as I am up at camp for the first few days and really don't hunt my own house other than a day or two in archery. This was the first year I moved in and he still makes sure to check in at least once a year to make sure I'm still alright with him hunting there.

Neighbor 2, just bought a parcel of land bordering mine about 2 years ago and had a house built last year. The first time I met him he was placing large poles in the ground at the property line stakes and painting them with bright pink spray paint along with posting every other tree with posted signs the entire length of his property. All fine and dandy to each their own...I don't post my land but like I said there isn't much there to post to begin with. He told me he didn't want anyone hunting his property (also about 5 acres) but if I ever shot one that I could retrieve it.

Jump forward to last week...Neighbor 1 stopped by after the hurricane came through to see how we fared. He told me I could borrow his generator if I needed it as he luckily was one of the few up here to not lose power. I told him I was set as we already got one after last years storm. He proceeds to ask me if I saw the stand neighbor 2 put up on the property line. I told him I hadn't seen it as I haven't had much time to get down back lately.

Tonight I finally got a chance to get home before dark so I took the dog for a walk to see what he was talking about. So there in the corner of neighbor 2's property is a new ladder stand along with game cam and solar cell charger. Its about 5 feet from the property line and facing over the small huntable corner of my property ironically right behind two of his Posted signs. I would imagine he put it there as its a natural funnel that the deer use occasionally. If I would have had my phone along I would post a pic which I will be taking anyways tomorrow.

My dilemma is this... there would be no issue if neighbor 2 wouldn't be so adamant about the no hunting and posting his property that borders mine (and has no access to where its posted other than through my land...basically just letting me know) I'd like to keep the peace but I feel its pretty ignorant to sit a stand all but 5 feet from the line facing my property with really no open shooting other than on my land and then telling me and neighbor 1 we are basically not welcome to hunt his land. This stand is also less than 50 yds from where neighbor 1 sits the first two days of rifle. What do you believe the best way to handle this situation is? Like I said I would like to keep the peace and be neighborly any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Post your property and let him know that he is not welcome on your property. Then put a stand on your property facing his stand. I have to say that keeping the peace was gone when he did that. He wants his property to hunt and is now taking yours. Protect what is yours.

You could always put corn out on your property line and set up a trail cam. This would force him to move the stand or hunt illegally. Give him a choice, and then act accordingly.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
As long as his stand is on his land, the direction its pointed does not matter. I agree, its a sure sign of a major league butthead, but there is not much you can do. I feel bad for your nice neighbor, it will ruin his first morning hunt by the sound of it. If it was me, I would invite the nice guy to my camp with me. We would leave early in the morning, right after we pushed off your woods singing christmas carols! LOL!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
LOL joe I wish he would come to camp but hes not interested in a weekend in the mountains just wants to have the opportunity to get out a day or two at home...which is why the corn idea wouldn't work as well ...it would ruin his hunt also as hes only 50 yds away. I understand hes in the right as far as the law goes by placing his stand where it is...its his land I'm just trying to keep the peace and not let him take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Find the main database for international telemarketing and give them his home phone number, tell them he has money to invest ! LoL!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tell him since his land is posted to stay off of yours. Let him know that your other neighbor has your permission to hunt that corner of your ground.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Just place a 'no hunting sign' directly in front of the trail cam and trigger the cam so that he gets a good picture. Then let him know that neighbor #1 will be hunting there on the first day and that he has permission to shoot onto your property. It shouldn't cause to much friction and will probably save #1 from having his hunt ruined on the first day.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
and you might want to remind him that even shooting into private ground is illegal. Post your ground, but be sure to tell him in person to stay off.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Civilization comes to the suburban site.
Lost a number of sites to civilization. Lost archery target sites. Houses around a pond now. Lost tree stand locations to a bedroom on a suburban street.
The sites lost; kept now in memory.

You only have to be old and remember, unfortunately.
I arrowed a deer here once. It's now near a trail in a park, as I get just exercise.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
A tough situation for sure. The idea of telling him he is not welcome on your land but other is will cause friction but someone of this intellect has doubtless angered others in the past.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
The friction has already been caused, by Neighbor #2. He is poised to "take" your land, and protect his too. Been there. Post, tell him in person why, and that he can't. And tell him that the other neighbor can. Do it now, well before the season. Have someone, AND a trail cam there if you can too.

This is much like ATV sales, buy it w/ nowhere to ride, then use someone else's land to ride.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Tell him you have no desire to follow a wounded deer onto his property.Then tell him he is not allowed on yours.Then give written permission to neighbor #1.Let #1 take a picture of #2 for you while trespassing.You will be at camp when it happens.Don't post your property.You don't need to,so save your money.You won't get along with #2 anyhow.He has seen to that.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Get one of them little Amish phone booths and put it 50 ft from the stand and give neighbor number one permission to hunt within your safety zone.

·
Banned
3,632 Posts
You could use some of that yellow police tape and tape off an area on your land nearby enough that he can see it from his stand. Call him and tell him the PGC came in and declared the area no longer huntable because someone baited your property (but don't actually put any bait down). Let neighbor #1 know what's going on and that he's clear to hunt on Monday.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
After the first two days of rifle I think I'd start my winter feeding of the deer about ten yards from his stand with a big pile of corn

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I would go to neighbor #2 and ask why his stand is facing into your property and whether he tends to shoot onto your property. Remind him, as noted about shooting into other peoples properties is not legal. Don;t go crazy yet, because if neighbor one shoots one and it runs onto his land, he'll be a [censored]. If resolving the issue don;t work this way then its hard to say what to do without knowing the type of neighbor you got. Is he the reasonable type or the type that will sneek over and put sugar in your gas tank if you tick him off. You live there, not us.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ignore it as unimportant.
Wish him luck that he kills a deer.
Think about something actually important rather than some silly slight re deer hunting intrusion.
It's just a short time and only a deer, for heaven's sake..

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well, just a thought...

When you met him he said you could retrieve deer, but he wanted to hunt his new property himself. Seems reasonable, it's only 5 acres.

Two years later, he sets up a stand in the corner which you said is the most huntable, but by the way the stand is set up, it appears he plans to hunt your property.

So... why not go see him, and tell him it appears he plans to hunt YOUR property based on the way his stand is set up. Perhaps you might suggest, this isn't necessarily a problem, provided the three of you can all hunt each other's land. Maybe suggest that you all get together and discuss a plan so everyone can hunt without disrupting each other. Let him know that AT THIS POINT, ONLY neighbor #1 has permission to hunt YOUR property based on neighbor #2's OWN RULES, and neighbor #1 WILL BE hunting about 50 yards from neighbor #2's stand on YOUR property WITH YOUR PERMISSION as he has for several years.

Unless #2 is a selfish clown, I'm fairly sure you can work something out, and you and #1 will have another property to hunt. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts