The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the windiest conditions you have had success in? It seems like the best nights for calling things in for me are always very very calm...

·
Registered
927 Posts
I have waled up on a coyote in beaver co when it was very windy and the ground was wet, I thougt to myself how I couldbt even hear my own footsteps so I turned on my gun light to check the road ahead amd the was a coyote 25ft infront of me and it didnt even know I was there, it looked up real quick and I shot it with my shotgun! They are out and if the wind is right you can find them.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Called a double from down wind back in October in sustained 20 mph wind. having said that i prefer not to have to try to pull that off. 15 mph is on the high side for me. Tonight is way to windy. Duck Dynasty it is.

Kirk McKendree

·
Super Moderator
12,813 Posts
ive always done my best on those nites it has been eery calm and quiet...also, ive done best during the warm snaps in the dead of winter...

spent mannnnnny nites out there trying on those bitter cold nites with good snow thats been "deep" for a while etc when a critter aughta be hungry...nothing...go out when the snow is melted off and the woods are a muddy mess and here they come...maybe a coincidence....im no pro...i dabble in calling from time to time...i love it..but just dont do well enough to do it often anymore after a few seasons of trying hard..now that i trap i know fox are about extinct here anyways..

·
Banned
462 Posts
The calmer the better, with that being said they were on the move last night between the heavy periods of snow. The last set I pulled into they beat me to the field, 3 greys already out in the field....unfortunately I was right along a very heavily traveled hard road so shooting was not an option, tried seting up down the road to call them in but no luck. After the first 2 sets I was seriously questioning if it was too windy, but had to drive by set 3 on way home so figured I would swing by and to my surprise 3 sets of eyes in the field!

·
Registered
927 Posts
I went out last night at 12 am, setup once in a big grassland area with about 200 yard shot, untill a honest snow TORNADO rolled through and freaked me out, list a whole pack of cig too lol, when I went to get my foxpro it had fallen over and was under the snow haha.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The tornado sounded like a train it was not cool and im not being dramatic it was crazy, but hey atleast i got to try my snow camo! im sure I blended in just fine.

that coyote I walked up on didnt come into the call altgough i had been calling just prior, I called three in a pretty strong wind in about 10ft infront of me I saw them without a ligt, one ran to the left two went strait side by side I shot between both hitting both killing one the other jumped up and hit the woods. almost two with one shot, almost.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
arc said:
I went out last night at 12 am, setup once in a big grassland area with about 200 yard shot, untill a honest snow TORNADO rolled through and freaked me out, list a whole pack of cig too lol, when I went to get my foxpro it had fallen over and was under the snow haha.
The smoking gods are telling you something.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
wind is supposed to die down around 2-3 am....logic says they should be out...no?

I'm probably goanna try it.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts