The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone will be hunting with your flintlocks; still hunting, sitting (on the ground), sitting (in a tree stand), putting on drives. I'll be sitting on the ground most of the time. I won't be hunting out of my tree stands because they don't have shooting rails and I need a steady rest to shoot my Hawken.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
a little stump hunting, a little still hunting then finish up with a crew of great HPA guys driving deer.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Kinda blew my Hip out so I will probably clump up to my Treestand and... I guess just take a seat and set down.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Depends on the weather. At dawn and dusk I'll be between the food and the cover. During the day a little still hunting if the wind is in my favor. We have a bunch of guys that hunt late rabbit (me included) as they push the thick stuff I like to get between them and some escape routes the deer use to see if I can catch them sneaking away from all the ruckus.......whatever I do it will be better than work and I'll enjoy it. Good Luck to all and be safe!

·
Super Moderator
12,804 Posts
most likely all small drives with a few guys...

want to try to attempt some still hunting if we get a nice fresh snow...

doubt i'll ever sit in my stand...after the rifle season, youd be hard pressed to see a deer from a stand unless you had a hot food source and unpressured deer...which with rifle still in here, that aint gunna happen..

·
6,459 Posts
i shot a buck on last seasons flintlock opener from one of my stands. ill probally hunt it again in hopes of harvesting a doe. then do small drives with the guys.

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
Will only be able to fit last 3 days in & it will be from a ground blind(early & lte hrs) plus mixed with a lil still hunting mid day.

·
Premium Member
4,374 Posts
I'm still trying to convince these late season archers to abandon their tree stands for various wintery safety reasons, and am extoling the excitement of meandering through laurel thickets and rhododendron patches to harvest an "unsuspecting" whitetail with bow and arrow.

If I'm successful, I'll be stump-sitting just outside these thickets and rhody patches.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
not sure exactly, probably a little of everything except the treestand. I deff will be in the woods somewhere

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
I'm still trying to convince these late season archers to abandon their tree stands for various wintery safety reasons, and am extoling the excitement of meandering through laurel thickets and rhododendron patches to harvest an "unsuspecting" whitetail with bow and arrow.

If I'm successful, I'll be stump-sitting just outside these thickets and rhody patches.

Amen Berks!! i normally dont climb in the Late season. This year i got one of dem portable Outhouse blinds & just got me a Buddy Heater! Im gettin a lil soft dontsha ya think!! LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
A little still hunting, but with a lot of stump, tree hugging in between. This is my favorite season. Got a big doe in early season, but nothing like putting the skins on with a coon skin hat and carrying my traditional long rifle smokepole.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts