The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any articles or topics on this guys? I guess you can't run a single dog on them either in case they bay?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I would suggest going and hunting with someone that has coyote dogs first before you decide to get a pup and try to train it. Its probably going to be alot different than what you thought.

·
Registered
10 Posts
you should first get a pup out of good blood lines. not all hounds have what it takes. the best way is to run your pup with an old broke dog. 2-4 dogs is best but 1 good dog is all you need. the dog just has to have some grit. when the coyote stops and wants to get it on, the dog has grab him a mouthful of hair and show him who s boss. i got an old female dog down at the barn with chunks missing in her ears, and her face is loaded with scares.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
BEAGLER has it right... PENS and running with them ole ladies...experience is the best teacher..I've watched a group of pups for about a year and each pretty much has gone through that routine and they already look like ole veterans... year long running and keeping them in shape and as lean as junk yard dogs will have them physically ready for what needs to be done, I've seen many 6 hour runs and 20 plus mile days, not easily done by anything else than hounds and hunters that are in fantastic physical shape.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There was a guy named Dan Brinsky up around pittsburgh way I believe, had good beagles and then he started training them on coyotes.. Not sure if he still field trials beagles or not

1 - 7 of 7 Posts