The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into trapping this upcoming season for the first time. My step-dad has lent me alot of magazines so I can read up and purchase the right equipment to get started. He has offered to show me how to build some sets this summer to get ready for the season next fall. I will be trying to trap coons, foxes, and coyotes. My question is if I get a nice fox or coyote and I want to keep it and tan the hide and leave the fur on how do I go about it. Was wondering if someone could post some advice for a new guy, that way when the time comes I can have the stuff I need at hand. Or even if someone can recommend a book or something to help with this. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
426 Posts
Buy one of the tanning kits available and it will come with instructions. Go for a brush on tan like Liquitan or Curatan and it will be easier. Basically you skin, flesh and salt hide heavily for 24 hours. Then you pickle hide in a 1.5-2 ph solution for 72 hours, taking it out once to final flesh it. Citric acid or pickling crystals and salt works for pickling. Then you neutralize the pickle with baking soda solution 12-20 minutes and rinse it. Next you let drain for a few hours and then apply brush on tan. As it dries in to hide you work the hide stretching and breaking it every day till it's soft while applying a softening oil like Pro Plus. Google Bill Probst's on line tanning videos for a good tutorial.

·
Banned
649 Posts
take them to a taxidermist , have them professionally tanned, wall hanging skins from home tanners , i get alot of them to try and fix so to speak.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info guys I really appreciate it, I hope to definetly try this in the coming season. It will be my first year trapping, so I really appreciate the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts