The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my dad got me into hunting at a young age and i have been hunting since i was 12, however; he doesnt trap anymore so i was never around it. I would like to try ad get into the sport but i have no idea where to start. What do ou guys suggest i do? Thanks.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i see your from washington county....if it was me i wouls contact Bob Jameson about his training class..or if you do not want to go that route you could start by purchasing some videos...the best thing to do is find someone that traps and see if you can do a ride along with them....

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
Depends what you wanna trap really....

Trapping definitely has a learning curve..but, with the internet, i taught myself..i am no pro...but i feel like i am doing alright..this is my 3rd season...always learning something and practicing in the field..

Finding someone to teach you hands on would definitely speed up the learning curve...but, you can learn as you go..books..videos..youtube...internet...worked for me...

·
Registered
94 Posts
one thing i would do is listen, listen to what people tell you i know when i started out i heard of alot of good tips and teqniques but i thought they wouldnt work for me or they wouldnt make a differnece i learned the hard way

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
you are in district 3 of the Pa trappers assoc. they have a few events thru out the year. Now is kind of tough for time with most trappers. We have a mini convention in october and a trappers school in the late summer.

These events are advertised in the trapper predator caller.

My advice is don't start trapping It's addicting!!!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
92 Posts
Buy traps, scout furbearers and listen to these ppl. Old vids dont do crap except get you started, get out and learn.
If you are always cognisant of everything whether you set or check you will figure it out. Its not that hard.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
watch some utube vids, learn here and other trapping sites. then just go trap. aint nuttin to it but to do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts