The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some green algae spots have developed on the vinyl siding on north and east sides of our home. Never been a problem before.

This stuff looks nasty and I want to remove it before it spreads. Would like to use something that is shrubbery friendly.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
I am going to do the same thing by mixing a little dish detergent and bleach and scrubbing it with a carwash brush (long handled), then rinse it, hope that works.....

·
Banned
4,988 Posts
Had the same (live in the woods) just took the power washer to it and it was gone, no scrubing, just spray. Didn't even use detergent.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
i do the same thing as idocare does. pressure washer works just fine. cleans algie and dirt without having to scrub. just plan on getting a little wet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a recipe for removing algae that sounded safe to my shrubbery and siding and tried it today. Mix one part white vinegar with two parts water and one tbsp baking soda.

Worked real well, algae wiped right off with a sponge soaked in the solution and I then washed it off with a garden hose. This wouldn't be practical for a large area but worked good for the few spots I had.

Did a little research on algae growing on vinyl siding. It does not grow on the vinyl itself but does on the layer of dirt and dust that accumulates over time. You guys using power washers are spot on, no dirt no algae!

Getting a little cold to slop around with water now but next spring I'll power wash the whole house.

·
Registered
11,143 Posts
Costco has a concentrate called "wet n forget" or something like that. That will kill the green stuff. Still have to wash any dirt off though. It works nice. I use it on my roof and it lasts for a year or so.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Been using a sprayer for over 25 years on algae, instead of the more expensive route of power spraying and painting.

Presently use an Ortho Dial and Spray, that does duty as a weed sprayer and a bug sprayer.

Put in a little dishwashing detergent(hand) and the rest Clorox in the Ortho sprayer. I generally use only one big bottle of Clorox for the whole house. Hook it up to the garden hose. Spray the house and WAIT. The job is to have patience and wait for the Clorox to do its job. Then if it needs more cleaning, do another spray of Clorox, dishwashing detergent and water in the hose.
Algae is so tough in this area, the house next door has seen two paint jobs in ten years. My house is still waiting for its first painting.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the same problem, I use in a bug sprayer 50 50 of bleach and water let set no scrubbing needed a few hours it all gone!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I use a mixture of diswashing liquid and bleach. Wet the siding then spray on the mixture with a garden sprayer and let it soak for a while. Then I use the pressure washer to wash it off. Side note: If your using a power washer on siding be sure to always spray "down" on the siding....spraying "up" can force water behind the siding and cause you more problems.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Go to the dollar store and get Awesome. They have it gallons and spray bottles. I buy both so I can refill the squirt bottle and use it straight. It takes it right off. I also use it on the black stains on my gutters. You will be amazed and it's dirt cheap.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use a small electric power washer. I get the same thing on my siding on the north side of my house. I don't use any detergent as it comes off pretty easy. I would not use any kind of bleach if you want to keep your shrubs!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts