The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old, lite portable tree stand that is a little noisy. Does anyone know how to quiet down the noise? thanks.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I have one to. Ive often wondered if there was some kind of scent free lubricant i could use for it. I just spray the movable pieces on mine with scent killer before i climb into it. Its pretty much the seat hinge on mine that squeaks. Ive often thought about just retiring this one and buying a new one but ive shot more buck out of this stand than all my other ones combined so i'm afraid to get rid of it.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Replace the washers on it (moving parts like the folding seat, where the cables attach to the platform, and the platform hinge (if they are replaceable) with new felt or nylon washers. That should help. You can also try some dry graphite lubricant on the joints.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
justgrad25 said:
Replace the washers on it (moving parts like the folding seat, where the cables attach to the platform, and the platform hinge (if they are replaceable) with new felt or nylon washers. That should help. You can also try some dry graphite lubricant on the joints.
Also Dead Down Wind makes an odorless oil that they sell in small spray bottles. I really think it's just vegetable oil but it is effective. Don't try to lubricate with any water-based solutions because in the long run it will just promote more rusting and sediment build-up in your stand joints.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
If the hunting area is close to a inhabited area, the deer should be use to the smell of WD 40.
I saw deer a number of year's ago, use to the sound of those confounded leaf blowers.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Depending what's loose/noisy, a bit of silicone caulking, epoxy or even welding might be helpful too. I use veggy oil on my moving parts and joints.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My bro and I made rubber washers from an old innertube. So far so good. Thanks for the ideas. Passed on a doe with little ones at 15 yds. stand is nice and quiet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts