The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on the Stren thread about guys having issues with twisted line and bird's nests right off a fresh spool.
An old walleye fisherman showed me a trick one day at the boat ramp and I've used it exclusively ever since.

Step one: spool your line. It doesn't matter how you do it. Off the ground, off a pencil, upright, upside down, spooled straight at you......doesn't matter.

Step two: Go out on you lawn and tie the end of the line to something. (branch, swing set, ball hitch). Set your drag fairly tight, point the tip of the rod right at the tie off point, and walk off the first 75' of line. At the end, stretch it just a little more.
Now, lay your rod down on the ground and go cut the line free at the tie off point. LET THE LINE LAY FLAT ACROSS THE LAWN.
Walk back to your rod. Keep tension on the line with your fingers as you reel the line back onto the spool.

Your line will be totally free of curls and it will lay soft and supple on your spool. Guaranteed. Every time.

·
Super Moderator
6,155 Posts
The way I do it also. You can also strip it out and pull behind your boat, but I like to do it at home rather than on the lake.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Since most of us have cordless drills .... set up your own spooling machine. It's a little work but if you do several spools it's pretty fast after you get it down. Zero line twist if done correctly. You can also strip the old line off.

Step #1 find a long screw that will fit through the reel spool. Try to find one that is close to hole size. You want very little wobble.

Step #2 find washers + nuts to secure reel spool to "head end" of screw - attach and insert other end in drill. Again minimize the wobble.

Step #3 insert a dowel rod, long screwdriver, etc. through filler spool.

Step #4 find something to hold the "rod". A bench vise with the "rod" on a slight upward tilt works or anything you find.

Step #5 if your drill rotates clockwise then the filler spool should also rotate clockwise (line off bottom of filler spool goes under reel spool too NOT on top)

Step #6 place drill on bench set on low or feather the trigger with one hand.

Step #6a with the other hand apply tension and guiding the line fill spool.

*Note* some older reels are wound "backwards" Mitchell 300's for example but don't remember the trick we used to spool them at the tackle shop.

·
Premium Member
24,169 Posts
If I’m on the stream fishing and my line starts to get twisted all the time I’ll put my hook on a tree limb or the side of a tree and walk downstream until i have half my spoil out. Then I lightly stretch my line and reel it back on with that tension until it’s filled again

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
*Note* some older reels are wound "backwards" Mitchell 300's for example but don't remember the trick we used to spool them at the tackle shop.
Yep, when I was a kid I had line replaced on a Mitchell 300 on a machine at a local tackle shop. I didn't rig up until streamside the first morning of trout season. Imagine my surprise when I found my line was wound the wrong way. Lucky for me my grandfather let me use his rod so I didn't miss the first half hour of the season while he tied off the line to a tree, walked it out and respooled the reel.

From that time forward I always made it a point to take the entire reel with me and double check that the line is wound in the right direction before leaving the tackle shop.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yep, I've done it that way with good results.

Also, if you pass the line thru a tippet straightener when spooling you can also get good results without having to stretch it.

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Yep, I've done it that way with good results.

Also, if you pass the line thru a tippet straightener when spooling you can also get good results without having to stretch it.
For those who may not know, a piece of rubber from an old inner tube makes a great tippet straightener. Just fold the rubber piece over the line and pull line between the rubber. If spooling a reel you might want someone to hold the straightener while you reel the line on.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Yep, when I was a kid I had line replaced on a Mitchell 300 on a machine at a local tackle shop. I didn't rig up until streamside the first morning of trout season. Imagine my surprise when I found my line was wound the wrong way. Lucky for me my grandfather let me use his rod so I didn't miss the first half hour of the season while he tied off the line to a tree, walked it out and respooled the reel.

From that time forward I always made it a point to take the entire reel with me and double check that the line is wound in the right direction before leaving the tackle shop.
Hope it wasn't me LOL... the 300's were old by the 90's but a few still were in use. My "boss" forgot to teach me about them till after I did 2-3 "backwards". We were pretty good on re-spooling them at no charge - not helpful in the "moment" but still.

Reactions: simoncool

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Hope it wasn't me LOL... the 300's were old by the 90's but a few still were in use. My "boss" forgot to teach me about them till after I did 2-3 "backwards". We were pretty good on re-spooling them at no charge - not helpful in the "moment" but still.
Years later I actually became friends with the guy who spooled the reel. The years of razzing about that incident was more than worth any inconvenience it caused at the time. I still mention it in good fun to this day and we get a good laugh.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I know some people spool up and then drop the spool in a glass of hot water for a few minutes. Seems to work but I've never tried it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Fairchild #17

Good information, thank you. I sometimes have trouble keeping twist out of freshly spooled line no matter how it was reeled on. Your method makes alot of sense.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you, have heard some about this method but really no clear explanation of the "How To".

·
Registered
330 Posts
Thanks for posting this. After doing it, this is probably the most "game changing" tip I have ever had. Unwrapping twists from my rod tip and spool was a constant for me before this. The line was also coming off the spool so much more smoothly I had to recalibrate my casting because everything was going long at first. I went probably an hour before I got even the slightest line twist. Interestingly, when the twists would happen they were often the catastrophic knots and tangles that required me to cut the line and retie. Could have been coincidence, but it happened a few times. I'll take that very infrequent result over dealing with twist every cast or two any day. I'm also almost certain my successful hook rate when up considerably after doing this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts