The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While a buddy and I were shooting in my T\C in-line and his Traditions in-line and using my existing box of 209 primers, we discovered that my 209 primers.....that are likely ten years old.....gave about a 20% "no bang" rate. So, because this happened in two completely different firearms, we determined the primers are old and not reliable any longer.

So, I have about 150 of these 209 primers and am asking if anyone knows how to neutralize them so I can toss 'em.

I've read where oil, wd-40, water would only provide a temporary neutralization....or they will come back to life!!

Any experience with this?

·
Registered
11,103 Posts
put them in motor oil for a while
That should work but tests have shown that some reactivate after they dry out. It depends on the particular priming compound.

Since you only have 150 the campfire suggestion would work. I've done it and never noticed anything flying around after they went bang. You do get a loud "pop".

If you put them in the fire you can be pretty sure they are made safe. If you soak them and trash them then you lose control and you don't know for sure that they were properly disposed of and won't hurt someone down the line.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thinking the fire thing should work, but being that a heavy strike by the firing pin is usually needed, not 100% sure. If me, I would first call Customer Service at the manufacturer.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Go out on the back porch and fire them. Good practice, same as dry firing, only you get a pop. If you have one that doesn't go off, then try it a couple of time more, then into the trash.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
lay em down, primer side up and whack em with a hammer :) film it for the JackA-- tv show

DONT DO THAT...if customer service doesnt have an answer, toss em in the fire one at a time. dont toss another until the first one pops.

·
Registered
18,246 Posts
when i was in my 20's i accidentally put some 30-30 shells in the burn barrel. i was cleaning out my room and grabbed some papers and stuff to burn, apparently the shells were in this pile. anyway...they blew up, just like a firecracker not like in the movies where the bullets go flying in all directions.

that wont happen. they are not in a barrel, so they just go BANG. i am positive the primers will just go bang too...no harm.

Reactions: Steeltrap

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only time I've read where ammo that is not "in the chamber" but left in a tubular magazine (think 30-30 Winchester) becomes dangerous is if a fire occurs and the rounds get hot enough to cause the powder to burn. Apparently the mag tube may be enough to send a projectile flying. Likely destroy the mag tube.......but still.

Then again.....I guess the only reason to leave ammo in a tube like that is in case a bad guy get's in the house......one rack and your loaded.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
The 10 year old age of the primers doesn't matter. Primers/powder, if kept dry and you avoid temperature extremes have a shelf life over 50 years. You may have just had a bad batch of primers.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
when i was in my 20's i accidentally put some 30-30 shells in the burn barrel. i was cleaning out my room and grabbed some papers and stuff to burn, apparently the shells were in this pile. anyway...they blew up, just like a firecracker not like in the movies where the bullets go flying in all directions.

that wont happen. they are not in a barrel, so they just go BANG. i am positive the primers will just go bang too...no harm.
When I was a whole lot younger and dumber my cousin and I threw a few .22 long rifle shells in a fire. When they blew, it was the casings that took off making a weird noise as they flew threw the air not the projectile because they were lighter in weight. We were lucky one of us didn't get hit.

·
Registered
7,778 Posts
my dad told me once that his dad and uncle were traveling home from work together and were coming thru Shamokin Dam on rt 11 - 15 , it was shut down due to a sporting good store fire , all the ammunition was going off from the fire. never rebuilt it after that

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi have a coffee can 3/4 full that came out of the Johnstown Flood in the 70's. They were submerged, but I haven't had a single misfire yet. I only use them for sight in though. wouldn't wanna jinx myself.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I "inquired" with one of the club officers if anyone mentioned the primers in the barrel. He said he "heard" someone said perhaps 22 shells were placed in the barrel......but other than the burn barrel guys taking big steps back.....not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts