The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I purchased our home and property a year ago which borders state game lands. The previous owner left a ladder stand towards the rear of the property about 15 feet from the boundary with the game lands. I've had cameras out all year to see what and or who comes and goes. I took the dog for a walk and checked one today expecting to see the usual deer and fox etc. which I did but there was also a guy entering my property last Saturday. I did some looking around and noticed a camera (not mine) on a tree just off from the tree stand and then signs that he had been in my stand. I removed the camera and repainted some property line markers. The game land and private property boundary is clearly marked with white paint dots and I will now be adding No Trespass signs.

From the image dates on his camera, it was just put up today. I'm thinking he was scouting last week, saw the tree stand and figured it was his lucky day maybe thinking it was left on the game lands? I expect he'll be back this week to check the camera prior to the opener. Do you think I should contact the Game Commission? I appreciate any input.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would leave a note on the tree that he had the camera on, letting him know that you have it and how he can contact you to get it back. That way you can discuss it with him in person.

I would give him the benefit of the doubt (initially) and not contact the GC.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
You said: "I did some looking around and noticed a camera (not mine) on a tree just off from the tree stand...". Was this camera on a tree on your property, or on a tree on PGC property ?

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Unless you want to have a talk with this guy in person...I would do something like Slay suggested... write a note...make a sign...etc...if your planning to hunt there (or even if your not)...say that you will be there on the first day.

Also since you already stated you have his camera...I would put it back... turned off of course. :)

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Also since you already stated you have his camera...I would put it back... turned off of course. :)
I agree.
I wouldn't take his camera so quick. Give the guy a chance to do the right thing. Most guys when given notice they are trespassing will get the hint. If he is a knucklehead and doesn't take his gear and not return then I'd keep checking till I found him there and have a talk with him. No need for the GC or cops. Best to handle these things yourself.

·
Registered
18,921 Posts
PGC rarely enforces trespass anyway unless a game law was broken as well. Local PD enforces trespass and even then it is usually an uphill battle with them.

Personally, since it is close to your property line, I would put a note in a ziploc bag by the camera explaining that the property is private and you do not wish him/her to trespass and go from there.

·
Registered
19,014 Posts
i thought the PGC can now enforce tresspass laws with the new purple paint law.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If boundaries line is clearly marked and you feel he was also using the stand then I think guy knows where he is at and obviously not his stand. To me it says he don’t care. He will do as much as he can and claim ignorance if caught. Put the camera back, Power on,hold a sign to camera saying private property no trespassing and then Turn off camera and hang sign on stand. Be there opening day. If he still trespasses then call warden. Hopefully he gets out of there and end of story. Our camp is maybe half mile from gamelands and unbelievably catch guys trying to drive deer thru our place to gamelands thru another parcel. Our place was abandoned for 10 years and it took a few years of us being there To stop the drives. Unfortunately the small game hunters Late season Still trespass when we aren’t there.

·
Registered
681 Posts
i thought the PGC can now enforce tresspass laws with the new purple paint law.
Yes they now can enforce trespass as the original violation, if I was the op I would contact the PGC and let them give the guy a wake up call. Game lands boundries are marked and the OP said the guy changed the boundary. Sounds like he knows he is trespassing to me. To the OP paint your boundary with purple paint as specified by law and if he is still trespassing turn him in.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Are you sure the stand left on your property was the previous owners? It could be the trespassers stand that he put up with or without the previous owners permission. Either way i would put camera back up with a note and a no trespassing sign on the stand.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
As others have said, I would put the camera back with a note. Do you suspect it was the previous owner who's stand and camera is there? That would be my guess, or perhaps someone the previous owner gave permission to and the guy isn't aware that the property has changed hands.
I'm not sure of the legality, but I could see the guy trying to say that you stole his camera. Even though it was on your property, I'm not sure that gives you the right to take it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. Both trees are on my property. The former owner was a hunter and left me a couple stands on the property. The PGC has the boundary marked well enough that you can see it. I have images of the guy from my camera as well as his. He's definitely not the former owner. I think he may have used a neighbors property for access but not positive. I bagged up his camera and a couple other items he left and hung it from a nail along with a note in the tree he had the camera on. I made it clear he was tresspassing and to remove his stuff. I also posted the property line clearly. If it happens again, I'll get the PGC involved.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts