The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How should an animal be presented to the taxidermist for the best possible mount? I am hoping to tag a bobcat and want to know the best way to handle it for a good mount.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
If your not sure take the entire animal to him. If you don't know how to skin, or have never skinned an animal before, you could do more damage than good.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It's probably just like a turkey. Take him the whole thing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't shoot it in the head. Try to keep it as blood free as you can. Try to keep it as dry as you can. Don't gut it. Don't let it lay in the back of your truck for days showing it off. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
957 Posts
of course with a cat take the whole animal to whoever is doing it for you. gently blot off and excess blood with a paper towel. if the animal is wet do this for the water as well.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What would be the best way to dispatch when you are going to get a mount. I was going to shoot in the head but maybe thats not best?

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
injection? im not a trapper but hear people who stick them with some chemical mixture to stop their heart.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A simple .22 through the lungs is easy, and easy to repair and conceal. Plus it saves the skull if you want to get that cleaned as well. It is important to get a bobcat cooled down as quickly as possible, then freeeze it whole if you cant get it to the taxidermist. Check out the PTA website for proper handling proceedures. http://www.pataxidermy.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
Potter bound I assume your trapping because you said you would shoot it in the head.Bobcats are known to choke easily.Just put a catch pole around its neck and tighten it up.Very fast.That's why it's recommended to not use a catch pole on a cat you're going to release.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts