The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my wifes parents house the other night and my MIL much to my surprise asked me to clean a gun for her, I didn't even know she had any. I said yes and she left and returned with a soft hand gun case with a 22LR revolver in it, it is a family item she was given and she opened it the other day to look at I guess and noticed it had a light coat of rust on it, she asked if I could clean it up, maybe shoot it a little bit and get it in good working order, I wiped it down and most of the surface rust came off, but there is a fine layer of dimpling of rust on the barrel and frame, is there anyway to remove this without damaging or scratching the gun or is it like this permanently now? Thanks guys. Appreciate any help or info.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you, where can I get 0000 steel wool, Harware store, trader Horn? appreciate the help.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Yes you can get it at any hardware store, then tell her not to store it in the soft case, that is why it rusted.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the thicker the oil the better... and rub lightly, the idea is to have the oil allow the steel wool to glide over the blued and non rusty section while the rust that just barely sticks up through the oil keeps getting knocked down by the steel wool... i've squared away quite a few like this... remember, rub lightly, work on small areas at a time, and thick oil... i've even used hoppes powder solvent on it first before the oil and streel wool... that seems to loosen it a bit before you start rubbing

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I told her keeping it in the soft case probably trapped moisture and is why it was getting surface rust, I will get the 0000 steel wool and probably grab some hoppes powder solvent, you said thick oil, any particular recommendations that have worked for you? I'll just pick up all the stuff together and do this on my day off. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Using steel wool is probably going to just cause more rusting, as small steel particles end up on all the metal parts you use it on. I'd look for a really fine scotch brite pad and use it very gently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts