The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gonna try to put this all in one spot, this is my drum, there are many versions, this is mine

here we go heres my smoker. it started as a new unlined open top drum, cost was about $60 from penn barrel inc in pittsburgh

you have to put 3 airholes on the bottom. i measured the drum circumfrence(around the drum) and divided by 3. my holes are 23inches apart and 2 1/2 in up from bottom

i ball valve from harbor frieght $8

2 capped airholes, these are from lowes, dont remember the price.

to drill these holes you can use a step drill bit, avalible from harbor frieght $8

the charcoal basket is 2 peices of expanded metal from home depot cost about $20. i connected the two peices with stainless nuts and bolts from home depot

the bottom of my charcoal pan is a weber grill top from a old smokey joe grill

the basket is 12inches tall 14 inches accross and the grate sits 4 inches from the bottom.

i have two cooking grates the bottom one is 16 inches from the top of the coal pan.

i am gonna through some links to other post as they have alot of pictures also

some smoker upgrades

some good pictures here

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just want to add, use stainless bolts in you drum.

also the weber lid sometimes doesnt fit, i got the lid from my uncles junk pile so it was free, i had to flattin the lid to make it fit. it seals great but i use 3 clamps to hold it tighter, i will take some pictures of the lid in awhile, i have two so you can see the difference

·
Super Moderator
23,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
heres some pictures of the two lids, you can see how i flattened the lip on the one, i used pliers and a rubber hammer

heres a shot of how the lid originally looked

heres the flattened one

heres a side by side

i would look for a used weber kettle on craigslist, you need the 22.5 model

1 - 3 of 3 Posts