The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few small area's that have already been mowed then disked. Actually, they are more like test plots this year. The plots were disked about 10 days ago. The soil in the plots is still pretty soft and I've been seeing some weeds start to come back. I sprayed the plots this morning and was thinking if I could get seed in the ground sooner than later, then I could just seed and then run the cultipacker over the plots since the soil is perfect for it right now. My question is, how long would you wait to seed? From what I've read, the spray affects only the leaves of the existing plants and not the soil. Would it be possible to seed shortly after spraying or not? I want to get the seed in sooner than later but I'm wondering how soon is too soon? Anyone have experience seeding shortly after spraying?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
As long as you are using just Glyphosate, you can seed right away.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was just Gly. How long would you have to wait if you used a mixture of 2-4-D with the Gly?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
That is supposed to depend on the type seed you are planting. I've been told wait until a good rain when using 2,4,D, but it might be more than that with some seeds.

When beginning a new plot, I'll burn down with both gly and 2,4,D, then by the time I want to plant, maybe a month of 3 later, with another hit of gly, the 2,4,D will not be a factor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's kind of what I was thinking. I have some seed leftover that I just need to get rid of so I thought I would try a few different small plots. I like the idea of gly/2-4-d to get things started with a follow up of just gly just before seeding. Seems like it would really be the best way in controlling the weeds. I used your suggestion of gly mixed with 2-4-d a few years ago and haven't looked back. I think the results are better and it's cheaper. That's hard to beat. Although, I mix it with 1 quart of gly and 1 quart of 2-4-d with 20 gallons per acre. I think some guys use a little more gly or 2-4-d but I seem to still get a complete kill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts